Take me to the dry bar

Students eagerly await the launch of the Guild’s new ‘dry bar’ in 2014

alcohol Guild refurb LGOS Sam Butler Saro Wiwa tee total university of liverpool

The university’s £13.8m refurb, set to open in February next year, will feature an exclusive ‘dry bar.’

The bar will offer students who are perhaps put off by the existing licensed bar, the Saro Wiwa, to meet on campus for meetings and social events.

The Saro is currently at the heart of the Guild

The Echo released an article announcing the opening of the bar on Tuesday, which received mixed responses.

One comment read:

“A dry bar is a great idea…..although isn’t it normally called a cafe, or coffee bar??”

Another reader slated the plans, saying:

“Well at least the students can see how some of their fees are being wasted.”

The Guild is currently being refurbished

Sam Butler, Guild President, defended the bar, saying:

“The student community is more diverse than ever with some of largest and most active student groups wanting to host events, and use the guild as a social space but can’t, or don’t want to do so in an environment which serves, or has served, alcohol.”

He continued:

“In keeping with the plan that the new building will reflect the flexibility and diversity of the services we provide we want to ensure everybody can get what they want from the new building.”

With regards to the term ‘dry bar,’ he said:

“There has, unfortunately, been a mixed response to Echo article. The ‘dry bar’ name was created by the Echo and not our nomenclature, the space will be a café/coffee/smoothie bar during the day and social space during the evening.”