All you need to know about Lincoln’s Night Light Cafes

The out-of-hours volunteer service here to help you

CW: discussion of mental health

As students, mental health is a topic that circulates between us all pretty often. Whether you’ve been here three years or just three months, unexpected challenges arise all the time that we may struggle to go through. Especially as university students, it can feel as though you are more alone than you ever have been where mental health is concerned – with your usual support systems all the way back home, or spread across the country at other universities.

Here at Lincoln, we are fortunate enough to have services available to us when we find ourselves struggling to maintain good mental health – you can read all about them here. People cope and recover in different ways, and so there are other services in Lincoln students can access.

Lincoln’s Night Life Cafes are a service students can get help from.

What is the Night Light Cafe?

According to their website, they are, “a non-clinical, out of hours support service for people experiencing a crisis in their mental health”. They run seven days a week, from 8 pm until 11 pm, at various churches across the city. At these cafes, you can find fully trained volunteers who are able to listen and offer guidance on mental health issues.

Where can I find them?

The Night Light Cafe runs in different churches throughout the week. This includes Alive Church, Bailgate Methodist and Bridge Church. All of their locations and dates are listed on their socials (@nightlightcafelincoln on Instagram and Facebook). They run on an out-of-hours concept, meaning they are accessible at a time when other organisations (such as the GP, or a therapist) would usually be unavailable. In doing this, the Night Light Cafe allows people to have even better access to help.

Do I need to do anything before I go?

You have to book to go to a Night Light Cafe. It doesn’t cost a thing to do, and can even be done via Instagram DM or Facebook Messenger. The option to call is available too, but sometimes when we’re busy – or even just a little bit nervous – sending a quick message to book can be a little easier.

If you or someone you know is struggling, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58.

You matter.