Uni of Lincoln to hold an online vigil in remembrance of Sarah Everard

‘We will do all we can to ensure our campus and community is safe for all women and all students’

Following the murder of Sarah Everard, women everywhere have been sharing their stories of harassment, feeling unsafe, and experiencing different forms of abuse, something that many women feel and experience on a daily basis.

In an email to all staff and students, the University of Lincoln said: “It is more than 40 years since the first Reclaim the Night march which raised these issues in our society, and it is unacceptable that so many women still feel unsafe in modern day Britain. The University and the Students’ Union have in recent days discussed the importance of uniting as one community to support women’s right to feel safe.”

The University of Lincoln has collaborated with the Students’ Union to come together virtually in remembrance of Sarah Everard and “to make clear we believe women have the right to feel safe.” The online vigil will be taking place at 7 pm on Tuesday 16th March.

You can join the event tonight by clicking here.

Taken by Elena Vardon in Clapham

Professor Mary Stuart, Vice Chancellor at the University of Lincoln said: “As a university, we aim to create an environment where everyone feels secure, supported, and listened to. We will do all we can to ensure our campus and community is safe for all women and all students.

“Importantly, as well as raising awareness of the extent and impact of aggressive and violent behaviour towards women we will ensure these behaviours are challenges, reported, and explored. It is vital to us that students and staff feel empowered to speak out, knowing their voices will be heard.”

Lucy Krogdahl, Vice President of Wellbeing and Community at the Students’ Union said: “The events of the last week have made it clear more is needed to prevent violence against women. It is a topic that shouldn’t be raised just when something happens and viewed with the lens of ‘It could be your sister/girlfriend/ mother’.

“All women should feel safe no matter when or where they are. Continuous education and a change in attitude is needed to prevent these events from taking place. It is not the responsibility of women to do this, it falls on all of us to challenge violent behaviours and the stigma that women are to blame for feeling unsafe in their daily lives.”

Taken by Elena Vardon in Clapham

The University of Lincoln “has expert support staff so students can come forward without fear, in a positive and supportive environment, where abuse and harassment will not be tolerated. To report any incident (including to make an anonymous report, contact Student Services.

Featured image credit: Elena Vardon