All the best signs from this weekend’s Reclaim These Streets protests and vigils

‘We won’t stop protesting until men stop killing us’

Across the weekend people have taken to the streets to mourn the death of Sarah Everard and to protest for the safety of women. Group Reclaim These Streets organised a series of vigils for Sarah Everard across the country and despite official cancellations, many people still came out in solidarity to pay their respects.

Whilst many vigils were able to go ahead peacefully such as those in Bristol and Nottingham, attendees in Clapham were met with “violence” from the Metropolitan Police Force. Following the scenes at the vigil on Saturday, protestors took to the streets on Sunday to protest at New Scotland Yard. Protestors also returned to Clapham Common to pay their respects to Sarah Everard whilst went to Parliament Square where they lied down in tribute to all the women who have been killed by police officers.

Throughout the weekend powerful signs were coming up everywhere, capturing the sentiments of women right now. Here are some of the best pictures from protests and vigils across the country:

Vigil for Sarah Everard at Clapham Common

Whilst organisers had to officially cancel the planned Sarah Everard vigil because the Met declared it “unlawful”, many people still went to Clapham Common to pay their respects. Speakers gave tributes from the bandstand, people laid down flowers and their messages to Sarah.

Flowers came all the way out from the bandstand as so many came to pay their respects, including the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton.

Image credit: Elena Vardon

Image credit: Elena Vardon

Image credit: Elena Vardon

Image credit: Elena Vardon

As it began to get dark, police began to disperse amongst the crowd. By 7pm police were instructing people to leave the Common and arrests were made. One protestor told The Tab “We left as it started getting more violent”.

Image credit: Elena Vardon

Image credit: Elena Vardon

Sheffield vigil

People attached signs to trees and laid flowers on the ground in memory of Sarah Everard.

Image credit: Sophie Watson

Bristol vigil

Many people attended the vigil on College Green in Bristol to pay their respects to Sarah Everard, coming out with flowers, signs and candles.

Image credit: Ben Bloch

Image credit: Ben Bloch

As it went dark people lit candles to remember Sarah Everard in a beautiful display of solidarity.

Image credit: Nicola Howard

Southampton virtual vigil

Whilst the vigil at Southampton Common was cancelled, many people took to their doorsteps and attended the online vigil.

London Kill The Bill protest

On Sunday protests began at New Scotland Yard, the Metropolitan Police Headquarters, protesting against the new proposed Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill.

People also came out in protest of the “violence” used by police officers the night before at the Clapham vigil for Sarah Everard, and gathered across the city in solidarity.

Image credit: Georgie McCartney

After leaving New Scotland Yard, protestors came to Parliament Square before heading to Downing Street and Trafalgar Square. Here Kill The Bill protestors joined forces with Reclaim the Fight.

Protestors lay on the ground in tribute to all the women who have been killed by the police.

The Tab spoke to protestors attending the Kill The Bill protests, with everyone echoing their concerns for female safety and how they wanted to stand in solidarity with women everywhere.

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

As the protestors headed to Trafalgar Square, Reclaim the Fight took over proceedings from Sisters Uncut. Protestors chanted, listened to speakers and once again paid their respects to Sarah Everard and all the other women who have lost their lives as a result of male violence in the past 12 months.

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Image credit: Lizzie Rose

Did you attend a protest? Want to share your images? DM us on Instagram @thetab_