Rage against the machine: New Oadby cash machine ‘out of order’ already

SU announced the new machine ready for Freshers’ at 12:45pm. By 2:45pm it was already broken

It was supposed to be a triumph for the SU today as they proudly announced the installation of a brand new cash machine within Oadby Student Village in preparation for Freshers’.

But it’s taken just 2 hours for the machine to be covered by an ‘out of order’ sign, leaving Oadby Village residents exasperated.

With a machine that has broken down on the same day that it’s been made available, students now face inconvenience during freshers fortnight, which starts tonight.

The new cash machine took 2 hours to become ‘out of order’

Students in need of money quickly, will currently still have to walk almost 20 minutes to get to the nearest cash machine and back to halls.

At it’s announcement, Student Union President, Michael Rubin, said “I’m delighted that we’ve been able to get a cash machine for students up in Oadby”.

SU President, Michael Rubin, pushed for the uni to fund the doomed cash machine

The cash machine was put in place after Union Council member, Rebecca Hawes, launched a petition for it’s instatement and gained over 300 signatures in just over a fortnight.

There are 3 working cash machines on campus

Second year Elly Wooldridge, who lived in John Foster last year said: “It’s a really good idea as walking to ASDA was a bit of an inconvenience if you found you suddenly needed cash but what’s the point of it if it’s going to break down?”

The English student added “I remember getting annoyed when the washing machines broke down and the people at reception couldn’t do anything about it so I can imagine these problems with the cash machine will be really frustrating as well”.