What is the British Fashion stereotype?

Brits are notoriously easy to spot when we’re abroad, here’s a few reasons why.

We Brits are known to make the most of the sun, whether it’s in the garden at home or whilst we’re abroad. We can’t wait to wear less layers, and whilst we are generally aware that other countries think we’re mad, given our unpredictable British weather we just don’t care.

In fact, it is such common ground that the Spanish now refer to anyone on their holiday fitting this stereotype as a ‘guiri’, literally meaning a pale foreigner in shorts that burns easily. I am the typical ‘guiri’ now I’m on my Year Abroad in sunny Spain, but what is the opinion of British appearances during the rest of the year when it is not so warm? Here are a few things I have picked up whilst in France and Spain:

1. We have a lot of piercings and tattoos.

Bryony (right), 2nd Year Aerospace Engineering Student and her nose piercing.

Amy, Final Year Archaeology Student with ear and labret piercings.

2. We dye our hair crazy colours

Sarah, 2nd Year English Student recently went through a ‘purple haze’.

3. We wear too much make-up. 

Me, attempting the heavy make-up look. Is this really how we are perceived?

4. We like to wear revealing clothing such as short skirts exposing too much arse and tops and dresses showing our boobs.

Here’s someone who obviously made a great outfit choice.

Why is this? A French friend told me she believed that as most of us are made to wear a set uniform and abide by certain rules for the majority of our childhood, as soon as we leave school we crave the freedom to express ourselves through our appearance and so we do things which to other countries, seem a little drastic.

While I’m not a fan of having arse out and I won’t be repeating  The Only Way is Essex tangerine look anytime soon, I think my friends all look pretty damn good in their photos. Should freedom of expression really be seen as a bad thing?