Leicester student jailed for role in sham marriage

A Leicester Law student has been jailed for his role in a sham marriage

Leicester Uni Law student Ayodeji Abbis has been jailed for 8 months after playing a “vital role” in a bogus wedding plot.

The 27-year-old had agreed on the day of the wedding to be best man in return for £1000 without even meeting the groom, fellow Nigerian Jayeola Abiola. He even helped pick out the bride’s dress and tiara from BHS and picked Celine Dion’s The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. A fitting choice for all parties involved.

Not the best man…Ayodeji Abbis

Prosecutor Edward Bindloss said: “Was it a coincidence the money was paid in to his account on the same day of the wedding? This was his reward for being a valued and important part of that sham marriage. He was the best man for a complete stranger and there to make money.”

Mr. Abbis denied knowing the marriage was a sham and that he received £1,000 for his part in it, claiming the money was owed to him by an associate of the organiser of the marriage.

Mr. Abiola was trying to secure himself a permanent Visa after being told he would be booted from the country. He and his Portuguese bride, Vania Pinheiro-Fernandes, were met by the UK border agency just minutes before getting hitched.

Leicester students expressed their surprise upon hearing this. Hayley Lyon said “You’d have thought as a Law student he’d have known better. How desperate do you have to be for a grand?!?”

Felicity Davies who was defending Abbis said “He became involved in this on the very last day and is, by a long way, the least involved.”

Another accomplice, Abiola Kumoye, was sentenced to sixteen months. The bride and groom each received a sentence of twelve months.