What Your Halls Say About You

It’s easy to make conversation and meet new people when you come to uni but when the chat turns to where you live, your halls say a lot about you…

It’s first year and you’re trying to make a good first impression. Little did you know, the halls you stay in say more about you than you thought.

John Foster Hall

Associated Stereotype: Mr./Mrs. Moneybags

Flowers optional

The newest and largest hall in Oadby. With your own ensuite bathroom, elevator in each block and paying £187.60 a week, it might be an idea to not mention your family’s multiple properties in Europe and how great Cannes was last summer. We get it, you appreciate the finer things in life. It’s not okay to complain about how the closest supermarket is AN ENTIRE 15 MINUTE WALK and wish you had brought your car to uni, but hey it would have been useful!

Pros:

• Power showers
  • Cooking for yourself

Cons:

• Drunk freshers chanting loudly waiting for the free bus outside your block.
  • JoFo bar
  • When the fire alarm in the adjacent block goes off and you have to go outside at 3am as well.

Recommended: Bus pass

GMS (Gilbert Murray and Stamford Hall)

Associated Stereotype: The stoners den.

If you don’t smoke, my deepest condolences (I can’t recommend Airwick Air Freshener’s enough). Expect a lot of house parties consisting of a lot of smoke and loud music. Don’t be surprised if an RA unexpectedly joins the party. Just play it cool and hope you don’t piss them off, they’ll be on your case if you do!

What you get if you’re lucky..

Pros:

• Some rooms have access to roofs which are perfect ‘chill spots.’
  • Pool tables in S bar.
  • More sociable than John Foster.
  • Green space.

Cons:

• Can’t cook for yourself.
  • Having to share showers with up to 4 other people.

Recommended: Proper ventilation/room incense/eye drops.

Beaumont

Associated Stereotype: Drinker

Each block has big living room areas for pre-drinking parties compared to the small cramped kitchens of say, JoFo. It’s pretty close to the Botanic Gardens for those lazy Sundays when you’re avoiding writing that essay. Hey, it’s first year-relax. You’re closer to ASDA than almost everyone, there really isn’t anything to complain about!

Pros:

• You’re close to ASDA.
  • Green space.

Cons:

• You have to walk to JoFo every time you want to collect your mail.
  • The gym is a small speck on the horizon.

Recommended: Mr. Clean for those after party spills.

Freemen’s Common

Associated Stereotype: Unlucky.

The rooms are older than David Attenborough himself and that’s putting it lightly. As the cheapest accommodation the university provides, you definitely know how to make do with what you’re given in life- and you aren’t given much at Freemen’s Common. However, it is only approximately 250 metres from uni and even less from the gym.

Pros:

• At least you have the Freemen’s Common Health Centre right there if you every feel ill. Oh wait, it moved didn’t it.
  • I can’t think of any more positives.

Cons:

• Don’t get a lot for your money
  • Not close to any other halls

Recommended: Warm onesie & Lemsip

Mary Gee

Associated Stereotype: Isolated

It’s almost like being in purgatory. You’re neither here nor there. You’re closer to uni but not close enough to spare taking the bus-especially in the morning. You’re close to Oadby but not close enough to walk in those heels you plan on wearing to Shabang to pre-drink with your friends at JoFo.

Cramped

Pros:

• You’re close to Queens Road and Vicky’s Chip Shop when you have those late night cravings (although GMS might have appreciated this more).

Cons:

• It might not be as far from uni as Oadby but it’s still far.
  • You’ll only see your course friends at uni.

Recommended: A Netflix account for all the movies you’ll watch alone in your room.

Opal Court and Nixon Court

Associated Sterrotype: Smart/Practical

Both are very close to university allowing you those extra 5 minutes to sleep in. They’re the ones coming into lectures with their pyjama bottoms as this is just an interruption in their 13 hour sleep fest. Being close to town there’s no need for a bus pass or money for taxis on nights out at the O2= smart.

Pros:

• Has a great common room with plush couches, a flat screen T.V. and ping pong tables and/or pool tables.
  • Perfect location for big pre-drinking parties.

Cons:

• Still won’t see your course friends that much.
  • It’s unbelievably expensive.

Recommended: Red Bull for those harsh cold morning walks to lectures