A quite serious guide to sports at Leicester

It’s imperative that you read this

Beginning university can feel a bit like being thrown in the deep end of pool while inconveniently forgetting how to swim.

You’ll see it written in every guide and shouted by every sports team but joining a sports team really is a great way to meet people and try something new.

But with so much information to take in during those first few days, we’ve compiled this easy guide to some of the many sports at Leicester.

Boat Club

Rowing’s impressive post-Olympic growth surprised even those with the highest hopes and Rowing at the University of Leicester is no different.

The club has experienced growth and improvement of facilities of the past few years to allow it to compete in this sport dominated by more wealthy universities. The club trains in Leicester on the Soar, seniors train in Nottingham on the Trent, allowing those with experience better room for improvement.

Training can be hard, but worth it. “We’re a club that welcomes anyone, regardless of previous experience” Novice Captain Claire Kelly says, “it may seem daunting at first, but once you’ve had a few outings you’ll love it”.

Those all-important BUCS points might elude the club but that didn’t stop them destroying DMU with an 8-1 victory at Varsity.

Hockey

Hockey is one of the Universities most successful sports, with all three teams having improved over the last year.

“Hockey is one of the largest mixed clubs at the Uni, performing well on and off the pitch” ULHC Chairlady, Georga Reed claims “with something for those who know how to handle a stick and something for those who know how to handle a VK”.

All three teams saw significant improvement in the past year with the Ladies team bowing out in the quarter finals of the cup, whilst the Men fought on to reach the Semi’s. Mixed triumphed in the Junior Cup.

Varsity was a white wash, the Men’s and Ladies teams left people wondering if DMU had even bothered to practice. Mixed fought to the bitter end but lost in extra time by two goals.

Training takes place twice a week, with games on Wednesdays and Saturdays. A club that is dedicated to its sport, the coming year should see ULHC achieve even better results.

Basketball

Basketball impressively won the Varsity match against DMU for the first time in 5 years, proving how far the club has come. Training takes place on Monday’s and Saturday’s, with matches played on Wednesdays.

The club caters for all abilities, from those who are serious there are two teams that compete in the BUCS league, while for those who take a bit more of a relaxed approach there is a third who participate in the intramural league.

Last season the teams placed mid league and are hoping for significant improvement with the addition of a great coach.  “We are always on lookout for talent especially after the loss of a few quality individuals after they graduate,” Publicity officer Michael Gambe explains. “But we also require committed individuals who put the team first.”

Rugby Union

The Tab’s new signing

At 90 members strong, Men’s Rugby Union proudly boasts of being among the most established clubs at the University. The Club has three teams, who play in the BUCS Midlands league, catering for players of all abilities; from those who have never played, to members who have playd county level or higher.

Training takes place twice-weekly with high intensity training designed to enhance skill and conditioning, with coaches making sure players reach there full potential. A description of Rugby Union wouldn’t be complete without mentioning Varsity.

“The rugby season ends with our annual Varsity match, where a 22 man squad is assembled to take on local arch rivals De Montfort University at Welford Road in front of over 6,000 paying spectators.” Club Captain Sebastian Goodhew explains, “but as well as the all-important sporting side, there is a friendly and energetic social side, which helps form great relationships amongst team mates. “

Regular social events are hosted on Wednesday nights with fancy dress socials, formal dinners and an annual tour abroad to name a few. In the words of the Club Captain, “What is your excuse not to play Rugby Union this year?”

Football

The University of Leicester Football Club

The club currently has four teams that compete in the BUCS leagues on a Wednesday afternoon.

Football had a mixed year last year, in terms of competition, but this year, with hopes of some talented freshers, have teams that are all capable for promotion and a Varsity day win. Training takes place three times a week and is overseen by two professional FA coaches.

“The Manor Road astro turf is the venue for training, as well as fitness sessions around Oadby and the Manor Road gym.”  Club Captain Seb Betton tells The Tab,” Varsity is obviously the biggest day for any University of Leicester footballer, with the chance to play at the Leicester City ground against De Montfort University with which we have a fierce rivalry”

Socials are held every week, following BUCS fixtures or the occasional social at the weekend. These may include awards night, a day at the races and the Christmas party.