University renames sports centres

On September 19th the University renamed its sports centres to recognise the work and achievements of two of Leicester’s finest. Roger Bettles and Danielle Brown are the chosen two, having […]

On September 19th the University renamed its sports centres to recognise the work and achievements of two of Leicester’s finest.

Roger Bettles and Danielle Brown are the chosen two, having made significant contributions to the worlds of public health and sport.

Roger Bettles was born and bred in Leicester but studied Dentistry at the University of Birmingham (It’s okay we’ll let him off, there’s no Dentistry department at Leicester). After a career as the Chief Executive of Foss NHS health trust Mr Bettles went onto become a part of the University of Leicester Council, becoming chair in 2007.

Bettles attends naming ceremony

Bettles attends naming ceremony

The new sports centre at Manor Road will now be known as the Roger Bettles Sports Centre.

The Roger Bettles Sport Centre

Danielle Brown studied Law at the University of Leicester. Alongside her studies she was a member of GB’s Paralympic team competing in Archery. She holds 10 Paralympic records, an MB, gold medals for both Bejing and London and a First Class Honours degree.

Danielle a superstar in both the academic and sporting worl

The sports centre on campus will be known as the Danielle Brown sports centre, having formerly been the Nuffield Gym before the university took control over it at the start of the last academic year.