Leicester gets Red Carpet Treatment

High-flying students to be honoured in inaugural awards ceremony

The uni is set to hand out the gongs at an Oscars-style Student Awards Dinner, honouring those who have made big contributions to Leicester life over the last year.

On Monday June 17, the Percy Gee will become The Dolby Theatre for the night, where students who have excelled at graduate internships, volunteering and the Leicester Award will be celebrated.

The Percy Gee

Other awards will be given to the best student group, best course representative, best students’ union parliament officer and the best student ambassador.

The Vice-Chancellor’s Student of the Year Award will be the most coveted prize and will be awarded to “the best of the best” from the individual categories.

Dan Flatt, Academic Affairs Officer at the University of Leicester Students’ Union, said the award ceremony was necessary because “there were some areas of exceptional student endeavour that were just not getting recognised at all.”

“The idea was to bring all the programmes together to form a more credible, visible and sustainable platform.”

Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Robert Burgess said: “This is a great opportunity to recognise the achievements of some of our outstanding students.”

The awards ceremony is set to run from 6.30pm through until 10.30pm, and should be an opportunity for glamour and celebration.