Leicester Goes 1920’s

The annual English and History ball saw the two societies come together once again for a formal evening at The City Rooms. Exams may be looming but students will always […]

The annual English and History ball saw the two societies come together once again for a formal evening at The City Rooms.

Exams may be looming but students will always take up the opportunity to take an evening off to dress up formally and forget the library and revision. This week the English and History society’s came together for an enjoyable end of term evening where third year students in particular celebrated their final term at university. The 1920’s theme was celebrated with Jazz music and many students arrived in suits, beads and the popular 1920’s flapper dresses. Although a sophisticated evening overall with a number of students enjoying the roulette table and 1920’s music, it was inevitably going to end with the classic Leicester student favourite cheesy songs including The Cha Cha Slide, The Macarena and Don’t Stop Believing – which I heard no complaints about!

The annual event was once again extremely successful and speaking to the current English society’s social sec and future president Anna Whybrow, it was clear that the society members were pleased with the venue and turn out. When asked about the chosen theme she replied:

“We chose a 1920’s theme as we wanted to celebrate this era especially with the upcoming premier of The Great Gatsby. The theme meant the music, entertainment and outfit choices were quite simple unlike the more complicated Carnival theme choice last year. The venue this year has also been amazing and fits in with the theme perfectly.”

Here are some photographs taken throughout the evening of the 1920’s inspried fashion choices:

1920’s Flapper Dresses

First Year English Students

1920’s Hair Styles

Alexander Huson, First Year English Student

1920’s Head Pieces

And then the option of dressing as the opposite gender