Style Your Scruffs

Take a look at people turning ‘scruff’ into style!

We track down students turning the scruffy stereotype into a stylish look.

Students are typically stereotyped as individuals who are forever dressing casual and projecting a scruffy look. It’s true – many of us students do not have the money to keep our wardrobes up to date with the new fashion trends or have a new outfit on a regular basis. We may also wait, especially as first years, to have to spend £3.20 on a wash and dry of one set of clothes until it is extremely necessary.

HOWEVER, this image that all students do not wash their clothes regularly enough and consistently wear un-ironed clothes is a myth.  Walking around Leicester’s student village in Oadby highlights that many students are conscious of their style.

Katherine Strevens, First Year, Management

Alex Cottrell, First Year, English and History Student…We’re not sure the crutches are part of this look….

Even when students are studying or around the flat, for many, wearing their ‘scruffs’ regularly means an outfit they have put thought into. When looking around Oadby, one becomes pleasantly surprised at the lack of the stereotypical casual, un-ironed, untidy looking students.

Here are some more of the people that we managed to chat with…

Luke Charalambous, First year, History

Emma Fields, First Year, Psychology…epitomising the student lifestyle!