Varsity: Ones to watch

Michael Frost tells you who you should be looking out for this Varsity season.

When Varsity comes around, the whole of Leicester becomes captivated. If you’re not playing, you’re watching, and if you’re not watching, you should be.

And every year we pin our hopes on certain players. But who are they?

The time has come for The Tab to put faces to names. Herewith, our top players:

Fencing

Tom Hall: He’s been fencing for six years and has enjoyed time as a Great Britain cadet fencer. His audacious personality on the piste makes him an exciting fencer to watch.

Tom Hall

Men’s Tennis

Phil Catherall: Coventry’s finest. A third year finishing his final season in the first team, he’s looking to go out with a bang at Varsity. He’s won a remarkable seven out of nine singles matches so far this season. Phil is known for his inability to hit with spin and his devotion to McDonalds Chicken Selects.

Phil Catherall

Women’s Tennis

Rebecca Smith: A first year from Warwickshire who has taken the team by storm. With a small frame, her power appears to come from nowhere. As an ex-county player, Rebecca has a lot of experience. Her current rating is 6.1 and she remains undefeated in her BUCS matches this year, which she’ll be hoping to emulate for Varsity.

Rebecca Smith

Netball

Jaz Robinson-Martin: A second year student who has enjoyed two seasons in the 1s team. She is a consistent and hard-working player who is regularly voted player of the match. Jaz can always be relied upon to make interceptions and mark her opponent out of the game.

Jaz Robinson-Martin

Mixed Hockey

Mike Kendall: A PHD student with the EOS group in the SRC, he’s been with the club for four years, playing Varsity three times. He describes last year’s match as “the most intense game I’ve been a part of.” He’s had a good season this year, and his team have only lost twice since September.

Mike Kendall

Rowing

Phil Wright: He has competed in Varsity once before as a member of the Novice Men’s 4+ and 8+. He was the only first year in the senior squad last year, narrowly missing out on qualification for Henley Royal Regatta as a member of the university coxed four, and will be competing in the Senior men’s 8+ and mixed 8+ in this year’s Varsity.  

Phil Wright

LUSSC

Brendan Jackson: An awesome freestyler, racer and vital member of the team. As a third year genetics student who is planning on doing a masters next year, he’ll be around for a bit longer so make sure keep an eye on this one.

Brendan Jackson

Swimming

Georgina Hunt: A second year engineering student who joined the Swimming Club at the beginning of this year, quickly becoming one of the most dedicated first team swimmers who competed in every competition. She has swum at a national level, and is the closest swimmer to achieving individual BUCS points at BUCS nationals. Georgina stands out as a likely candidate to win the majority of her races in her first Varsity this year.

Georgina Hunt

Women’s Basketball

Courtney Smith: A Canadian transfer student who brings with her much experience and skill from her time in Canada. Her great dribbling skills and shooting ability make her a threat capable of beating defenders and scoring at the basket. She is also a great team player, setting up teammates and playing unselfish basketball.

Courtney Smith

Women’s Football

Amy Offler: As a third year, she’s a Varsity veteran who has played all three Varsity matches in her time at university. She’s been invaluable in the centre of the park for the first team this season, and has the ability to smash in a goal from almost anywhere.

Amy Offler