Image may contain: Home Decor, Postal Office, Shop, Paper, Business Card, Text, Word

Revealed: LU Living data breach

Information on over 160 properties leaked

In an exchange with a student, Lancaster University has accidentally attached a file containing confidential LUSU Living information.

The file in question included information on over 160 properties in Lancaster, with landlords’ addresses also being divulged.

A source told The Tab Lancaster that the file also included the profit margins of each and every property, which have been described as “rather high.” Lancaster University Students’ Union reported the incident had taken place, in a statement that they released 21:30, on 17th April.

The statement reads: “Lancaster University Students’ Union has referred itself to the Information Commissioner (ICO) regarding a data breach.

“In an exchange of emails with a student a file was accidentally attached that contained data concerning landlords that the Students’ Union works with through LUSU Living.

“The Students’ Union has taken immediate action to minimise the breach and ensure that the file has been deleted.

“Nevertheless, the incident is serious enough to require that we inform the Information Commissioner of the breach. We will fully cooperate with the ICO in any inquiries they make and any recommendations that result from any investigation.

“We have informed all of those potentially affected by the breach. We would like to apologise to them for any inconvenience that it might have caused them and assure them we are working to minimise any impact.

“We want to reassure all our tenants that their data is safe. The possible breach involved information about landlords and properties but did not include information about tenants.

“We will update everyone affected by this incident as it develops.”