Image may contain: Asphalt, Tarmac, Hotel, Inn, Building, Flower Bouquet, Flower Arrangement, Blossom, Flower, Plant

Wetherspoons HQ have confirmed there was a norovirus outbreak at The Sir Richard Owen

‘A customer was ill at the pub’

Wetherspoons HQ have confirmed there was a norovirus outbreak at The Sir Richard Owen in Lancaster city centre.

The Sir Richard Owen originally denied any accusastions about a norovirus outbreak. They told The Lancaster Tab: "That's absolutely not true." Secondly, when a member was asked if any staff had the norovirus they stated: "Not as far as I'm aware."

Just one hour later, Wetherspoons HQ told The Lancaster Tab: "We can confirm that a customer was ill at the pub. Staff were infected. Pub has closed for a deep clean and for staff to recover and pub aiming to open friday."

One customer told The Lancaster Tab: "We were just checking out the menu, staff seemed rushed we were told there might be half hour wait on food then just after they started telling everyone they were closing the pub due to staff illness and short staffed."

The Sir Richard Owen is said to be reopened on friday.