Songs every Glasgow Uni student should have on their GUU playlist

ABBA songs must feature

It’s almost been a year since Glasgow University students were packed into Beer Bar,  downing Pints of Fun whilst slapping the roof to ‘C’mon Eileen’. Whilst we still may not be able to go to the union, you can try to recreate the GUU vibe by making homemade pints of fun and making a playlist. We’ve added a couple of song recommendations for you to add to your playlist to have the ultimate Beer bar experience.

Come on Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners

A classic that you really should just expect to be in there. Gets you up on your feet, and whether you’re part of the rugby team or not, you can’t help but slap the ceiling.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

Love Story – Taylor Swift

Oddly, when you’re drunk in Beer Bar, this is an absolute banger? We all have our Romeo/Juliet that our friends disapprove of and somehow this shows when we end up singing along, our arms stretched over our friends, whilst making eye contact with ‘they who should not be named’.

Vouslez Vous – ABBA

A classic which can be heard in HIVE and Beer Bar, this is an all round banger!

Stacey’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne

The person that your pals tell you to avoid is more than likely the type to put this on in Beer Bar.

Chelsea Dagger – The Fratellis

It is impossible to hear this in Beer Bar and not want to jump around to it.

Shut Up and Dance – Walk the Moon

This is definitely a love or hate song, that is most commonly played in Hive. Its cheesy and repetitive, but after a few pints of fun you can’t help but sing along to it.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

Shape of You – Ed Sheeren

We love a bit of Ed don’t we. Grew up as his music progressed from A-Team to Afterglow. Probably a song you may get with someone too – don’t ask me why or how, it just happens.

Does your mother know – ABBA

Another ABBA song suggestion of course, because they are all bangers. This one is especially good for signing along to with your mates.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

Like a G6 – Far East Movement

Who knows what a G6 is? But its a good song  nonetheless.

Africa – Toto

This was first released in 1982 and is a timeless CLASSIC that will ALWAYS be a banger.

September – Earth, Wind and Fire.

Another timeless banger that everyone in Beer Bar will LOVE you for putting on.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

I Wanna Dance with Somebody – Whitney Houston

How can we miss this one out. Played in all clubs every night. The vibe is unreal. Heard in both Beer Bar and Hive, it really never gets old.

Foundations – Kate Nash

This one doesn’t need an explanation, it is just an absolute tune.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

Low – Flo Rida

Describing the events of slipping in the corridor to the HIVE loo’s. The big question… How low are you willing to go on the sticky Hive floors?

The Climb – Miley Cyrus

The next time we hear this in Beer Bar it really will hit differently. The journey it has been for us to get back into Beer Bar, with a Pint of Fun, has been long and arduous. I for one can’t wait to sing this at the top of my lungs.

Mr Brightside – The Killers

This might be one of the most overplayed songs of all time, but it is another ultimate club classic that you can’t help but sing along to.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

Rasputin – Boney M.

This is such a strange song, and yet if you are a couple of  drinks down you can’t help but sing and dance to it.

The Edge of Glory – Lady Gaga

An iconic song sang by an iconic artist.

Credit – Hive on Facebook

All Star – Smash Mouth

Whether you’ve watched Shrek or not,  All Star is a complete bop. Enough said.

Of course there are many other classics that fill the dance floor of Hive, and a thousand others that will pass through your ears whilst in Beer Bar. These are just some of our personal favourites.

Got any suggestions? DM us at The Tab Glasgow on Instagram

How Glasgow Students can cure their Lockdown Boredom

Quiz: How much of a Glasgow Uni stereotype are you?

An Ode to HIVE