Glasgow University to limit numbers in lecture theatres and labs in semester one

Freshers’ Week is still scheduled to start as normal

Students at Glasgow University received an email this morning from Internal Communications outlining new details for the 2020/21 academic year.

The latest update informed students that the university will be commencing as usual in September, with Freshers’ Week starting on 14th September and classes from 21st September. However, most courses will involve a “blend  of  remote and on-campus teaching” and “numbers in lecture theatres and in laboratories will be restricted.” 

Students on individual courses will receive further updates in due course.

The email also announced that some postgraduate degrees might be delayed until January 2021. There is no confirmation of which taught postgraduate programmes will potentially be affected.

Many members of staff at the university will also continue to work from home due to the global pandemic.

According to the email: “For those on campus we are looking at a variety of options that will ensure physical distancing is possible. These include staggered shifts, rota working and changes to how we move around our estate.” 

With regards to the Students’ Union and catering outlets such as the Union Kitchen, they will be working under a new set of rules that will include restricting numbers at events or may, unfortunately, be postponed.

To find out more on the latest updates regarding COVID-19, see here.