So, you want the truth about private student accommodation in Glasgow?

You’ve always wanted to know what it’s like

I’m going to admit that I’m a first-year student and I’m not in Glasgow Caledonian Uni’s provided accommodation. I’m in private student rooms.

Fancy

Why? Well, for £12 more a month I get a bathroom and a double bed all to myself.

Private student accommodation is not the elitist, expensive trap that it seems. Let me tell you the truth.

I only share with four flatmates

So much space

This is great because it means less mess in the kitchen and more opportunity to know each other better. Plus, who does not love having more room to store the amount of junk food that you buy?

The wifi is amazing

As a journalism student I need great wifi to be able to stream all of my channels and watch the endless films and video clips that I have to analyse. It’s nothing like the slow, unreliable internet in halls.

I have a double bed and an en-suite

This is the life

Considering the university’s accommodation was an eight-person flat with a shared bathroom, I was thrilled when I received this news of a double bed and a whole en-suite to myself.

You meet people who’re not from the same uni

The flat team

The diversity of people studying different courses in different places across Glasgow is an amazing thing. It means that you can go out with your flatmates and their course friends, as well as your own course friends. You gain insights into a different unis and colleges and can share totally funny and unique stories.

I’m closer to the city centre

The shopping haven of Buchanan Street

I’m only a five minute walk away from Glasgow city centre.Getting my shopping every week and the odd little bits are very handy. As I am someone to gets lost two minutes away from my own back garden it gives me the opportunity to explore Glasgow step by step.

There are obviously going to be downsides, though

There’s a longer walking distance from Caley (I do need the exercise though), doing the laundry is so expensive and my contract last 44 weeks when I’m only in university for roughly 32 weeks.

Despite this I wouldn’t change it for the world. My accommodation has given me the independence I have always wanted without paying too much for it.

My best advice for anyone who is starting university is to truly research into accommodation, because the best deals are not always the ones on the university’s doorstep.