Glasgow’s Gaelic history is older than you think

It’s not noise, it’s gaelic

Since the 15th Century the halls of the University of Glasgow have echoed with the sound of confused and perhaps drunk student.

But a recent study has shown this was it may in fact not have been pish they were spouting but an actual language – Gaelic.

Gaelic people were at Glasgow when it looked like this…

Yes, Gaelic has been present at the university for over 500 years, a key achievement for a dying language.

This achievement can only be dwarfed by:

Winning at solitaire while playing with one suit

• Successful grass growing

• The creation of the Twosie (the two person onesie)

Imagine these two onesies sewn together.

The Professor of Gaelic at the Uni, Roibeard O’Maolalaigh (said as spelt) told the Scotsman that this shows the “extraordinary achievement made by Gaels in society both home and away”.

To prove his point I Googled “famous Gails” and found he was right.

For example: Gail Borden (1800) was an American food scientist who invented the ‘Meat Biscuit’.

Also Scotland’s own Gail Porter, who found success as both a model for FHM and as a presenter of Channel 5’s The Gadget Show.

Although the university has only been teaching Gaelic for 50 years, at one point about half the population of Scotland spoke it.

Unfortunately, now the only people who tend to speak gaelic are highland farmers and those lassies that do the sign language on the Gaelic version of channel 4.

Only 60,000 people speak the language with which Glasgow Uni was once strongly linked.

…and now that it looks like this.

So actually, Gaels have been studying and teaching at the University of Glasgow since before the piano was invented.

So, maybe that girl in Viper last night wasn’t paralytic, she was just gaelic.

And you didn’t even know. Shame on you.