Free education: who needs it?

No guilt means no lecture attendance. Sorry

Free education? We certainly don’t need it.

Because with it we just don’t do anything.

I overheard a taxi driver ranting this morning after being told by a student that they probably wouldn’t go to University that day – too hungover, obviously:

“You’re pathetic, students are pathetic.

“Tax payers pay thousands of pounds so you can receive an education at one of the world’s top universities and you don’t even bother.

“So many people would bite off their right testicle to be given that opportunity. Grow the fuck up.”

Guess which one pays for Uni

With this in mind, is free education really such a good thing?

Without teachers telling us to go to work, how often do we actually do so?

Don’t get me wrong, the principle is a good one, but being handed a free education allows me to feel no guilt when I wake up after a Viper Wednesday and miss my 10am on a Thursday… and the 1pm… and the 3pm.

There are some strong, boring, economic arguments to make us pay for education too (I’ll be quick I promise);

The more education costs the better it will be – hence the still thriving private school system. But that’s a matter of opinion, of course.

Does our economy really need a whole load more graduates with useless Philosophy degrees?

If education was free for all more people would go to university and likely study arts subjects.

That means jobs that don’t require a degree would be further neglected (as they already are).

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for equality and am more than happy that I won’t have a fat loan to pay off after uni.

But maybe this free education lark isn’t as great as it’s cracked up to be.

Surely, a means tested system of fee-paying would be more justified.

Otherwise the rich lads and ladies of ‘Unaaaaay’ will have a grand old time spending daddy’s money on champagne and Tennents rather than their education.