Be The Change want to smash the stigma of mental health on campus

There will be an open forum to share your experiences

Be The Change society will host their Share Your Story night on Monday in the hopes that it will create a new way for students to share their experiences of mental health and raise awareness of the increasing numbers of students suffering.

Project Talk, one of six projects managed by Be The Change, encourages students to attend the event, saying: “Whether you want to come along to listen, share your personal experiences or support your friends, all are welcome.

“We have held this evening before and it proved to be really useful for those who attended. Mental health is something that people should be able to discuss, and this will be a great opportunity to raise awareness of it on campus.”

Chloe Hodgkinson, a third year Psychology student who is the project coordinator of Project Talk, shared the reasons behind the event.

She said: “We organised the Share Your Story night because we want to raise awareness of mental health on campus. We also want to address the huge stigma which is currently attached to mental health.

“It is such a big issue which affects so many young people today, including students here at the university.

“The night will be a safe place for students to have the opportunity to share their experiences, support friends who have gone through mental health issues, as well as the opportunity to listen to others going through similar situations.

“Everyone is welcome, you do not have to share you story if you are not comfortable with doing so.”

For more information about Share Your Story night, check out the facebook event.