Five things to do before turning your heating on

Georgia Dawson gives you the low-down on how to survive the winter months

Before you turn on the heating, and inevitably delve into the infamous RED zone of your overdraft in order to do so, consider first these helpful tips to staying warm without the heating:

With that rare breed known as The Northerner, the idea of turning the heating on is nothing but a whimsical joke. You may often hear them cry: “Central heating on now? But it’s practically summer!”

For all you warm-blooded southerners out there – the vast majority of Exeter students, it seems – here are some helpful tips to staying warm if your northern housemate is refusing to show you how to put the heating on.

The Sock

If clean, over mitts could also be a possibility

The versatility of the sock is something that is often overlooked. Rather than splashing out on a new pair of mittens simply slip on a pair of socks and revel in the instant warmth.

If the lack of finger movement becomes an issue, simply borrow a pair of socks from your housemate and chop finger holes in et voila: fingerless gloves!

Even better: slipping your arms into a pair of tights will ensure every part of your arm is kept cosy warm. Couple this with the double sock on your feet and you’ll feel warmer in seconds.

Duvet Day

Duvet day + hot water battle = heaven

If sock mittens are just not offering you enough protection, it’s probably best to relocate your work from the desk. At times like these, cocooning yourself in bed and refusing to get out is not a symptom of a heavy night before.

No Sir. This is a hypothermia-risking situation in which your work will simply not be up to par if you remain out in the vast Atlantic expanse that has become your room.

Layer Up

Exeter’s hottest trend-setter.

If you find your productivity level is hampered by lazing about in bed all day, you may have to just brave it. If this is the case, it is time to layer up.

Do not listen to the inevitable doubt you hear from your housemates as they wedge you into your fifth jumper. when you’re toasty warm and their noses have got frostbite, you’ll be the last one laughing.

Spoon Time

Big spoon or little spoon? That is the question.

Yes, that’s right, spooning is the way forward. When night descends, everything somehow manages to get even colder.

If you don’t want to end up hibernating over Christmas, insist on spooning with your housemates. One of the more entertaining ways of staying warm, you can also open this invitation to the whole house to create a massive extended spoon.

Relocate

Of course, layer up to warm up by the oven.

Guaranteed: the kitchen is the warmest room in the house. Ovens, microwaves, kettles – the list goes on with the things that produce heat.

If the cold is driving you a little stir-crazy, it’s probably time to take it downstairs. Taking your duvet, blanket and layers with you and the kitchen will seem like the Caribbean after the temperatures you’ve had to put up with.

On a side note, you may even irritate your northern housemate by hovering around the oven that so that they concede to turning the heating on. Really, it’s a win-win situation.