Exeter Could Host Rugby World Cup

Sandy Park, the home of Exeter Chiefs, has been shortlisted to host 2015 Rugby World Cup fixtures.

Rugby fans, rejoice. The World Cup could be coming to Exeter.

Sandy Park, home of Exeter Chiefs, has been confirmed as one of the 18-strong list of possible host venues for 2015’s Rugby World Cup.

Sandy Park: A possible World Cup host?

Sandy Park, which was built in 2006 for £15million, has a capacity of 10,744, but the Chiefs plan to expand the ground to admit 20,000 for the event.

It joins football stadiums such as Wembley, Old Trafford and Newcastle United’s St James’ Park on the list.

The ground famously hosts Exeter’s rugby varsity, which this year our boys won at a canter.

Sandy Park and Gloucester’s Kingsholm ground are the only shortlisted venues that host regular rugby matches.

Our uni boys before this year’s Varsity

Club chairman Tony Rowe said he was “delighted” that Sandy Park has been shortlisted: “It provides a wonderful opportunity to bring alive the city of Exeter … which we know offers a significant input into the heartbeat of English rugby.”

The list will be narrowed down to a final 12 within the next few weeks.

Although most of you will have graduated by 2015, the World Cup is as good an excuse as any to come back down to visit!