R.I.P SSB

Jaz Sansoye argues that banning the SSB is the wrong decision

banned opinion SSB

Clearly, the Guild has axed the Safer Sex Ball in order to deflect attention in the national press and its increasingly negative reputation.

Exeter University’s name was repeatedly dragged through the dirt following the sex-tape scandal. The media has found any excuse to label us as immoral and blaming SSB for promoting such ‘sinful behaviour’. What is baffling is that there has been so much coverage of Exeter, but a blind eye has been turned towards other universities: Confessions of a Uni Student, sexploits and ‘LAD’ behaviour occur at every university, not just ours. 

Shutting down the SSB will not achieve anything. It’s not going to stop outlandish behaviour and will do more harm than good. Although many have questioned its motives, it is possibly the university’s most lucrative fundraising event and makes donating to charity fun. Without the money made from the ticket sales, charities will be worse off. I am not alone in thinking the replacement ball offered by the Guild organises will not live up to SSB and will not be as profitable, with some students already talking about boycotting the replacement ball in protest. 

SSB is relatively harmless. I’m a feminist and I see SSB as objectifying both sexes, rather than just women, and although objectification is never going to be right, at least both sexes are being treated and viewed equally at SSB. The Daily Mail made an ignorant comment on how we get ‘degrees in misogyny’, yet as a woman I have never felt safer than on campus and have never felt uncomfortable because of my sex or even had sexist, derogatory remarks hurled as me. Furthermore, moving it to campus last year was a great tactic because it meant that if there was trouble, the ever-efficient Estate Patrol were on call. 

Yes, it’s a night surrounded by sex but it does what it says on the tin – it promotes safe sex. You get greeted with condoms. It’s a student night and there is security; therefore it’s relatively safe. Most of all, it helps charities that desperately need the money. Call me pessimistic but I don’t think we would be as willing to donate to charity if a fun-fuelled night wasn’t involved in the process. 

Writing off the SSB will not restore prestige to the university’s name – not that we do anything extraordinary in comparison to other students. The damage is already done, but why should we all be punished for it when it was just one incident?