Huge Fire on Well St

A sizeable fire broke out in Well Street in the early hours of this morning.

fire Well Street

At 1.43 am, a fire broke out in the student area of Well Street.

Two Fire engines arrived on the scene and began to tackle the considerable blaze. Fire crews had to use four breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.

At 02:08 Fire crews requested additional support after the fire spread to the first floor. Less than 20 minutes later, a fifth fire engine was dispatched in order to get the fire under control as gas cylinders were now involved in the fire and needed to be cooled down to avoid considerable damage.

Almost two hours after the fire began, the Fire Service began to scale back to only two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet. However, even at 8am one fire engine remained to monitor the situation.

Chloe Hamilton, a third year English and French student, told The Tab: “We live opposite the house on the Oxford road side and were coming back from arena just after the fire started. Within minutes the windows exploded and the fire was engulfing the whole side of the building. It was really scary to see how quickly the fire escalated. After the firemen arrived it took a long time to get it under control.”

An 80 year old man and his son escaped the fire and have been taken to hospital to recieve treatment for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire is currently unknown.