Exeter Student Wows Tom Jones on ‘The Voice’.

Exeter Student Hannah Berney appears on the BBC One show ‘The Voice’

The Voice

Exeter University student Hannah Berney has recently wowed judges on the BBC One show ‘The Voice,’bringing her one step closer to achieving her big break in the music industry.

Hannah, who studies History and French at Exeter, described the moment Sir Tom Jones turned his chair around to face her as "surreal.”

Unlike singing competitions such as the X-Factor and American Idol, the Voice sees singers facing blind auditions in front of four coaches- Sir Tom Jones, Jessie J, Will.i.am and The Script’s Danny O’Donoghue.

The coaches sit with their backs to the stage, and if they are interested in the singer’s performance they then turn around during the singers performance.

Living in Wales herself, Hannah said she was “very nervous” before performing before one of her biggest idols in Sir Tom Jones.

After opting to sing ‘You and I’ by Lady Gaga, both Sir Tom Jones and The Script’s Danny O’Donoghue swiveled their chairs around to face her.

Despite this, Hannah chose to go with Judge Danny O’Donoghue rather than idol Tom Jones, stating:

“‘I think based on the stuff I want to sing and the big voice I want to get out and obviously the improvements that I need to make, Danny I’m going to go for you.”

Hannah currently sings semi-professionally whilst studying at Exeter, singing regularly at venues such as Mama Stones and Firehouse, whilst also making a guest appearance at the Universities Dog Dayz ball last summer.

With the music industry being notoriously difficult to break into, Hannah must be hoping that this could be her big break.