10 Halloween costumes that only students living in Edinburgh would understand

As if dressing as mid-terms isn’t scary enough

Halloween is around the corner and chances are you’re lazy and haven’t sorted out your costume yet. Fear not, for there is still time to get creative whilst under the ticking clock. Want to stick out from the crowd? Why not dress as something nichely Edinburgh-related? Here are 10 Edinburgh-themed costumes we hope to see strutting on Cowgate:

1. Greyfriars Bobby

Trying to suppress the wolf inside you? Compromise by dressing up as Greyfriars Bobby this year. With a golden nose, dog ears and some painted whiskers, you’ll have Edi’s most niche ghost costume, but you might need a Scotland flag to avoid the furry allegations…

2. Appleton Tower Shagger’s

Horrible crimes were committed here x

Why not you and your partner dress as the infamous Appleton Shaggers of 2018? If you haven’t heard about this spooky tale, consider yourself lucky, but for all of you who do know, this might be the most cursed couples costume out there. This is a perfect budget-friendly costume, all you two need is a picnic blanket and a brave face for the cold wind. Just make sure you two don’t get caught having a quickie in the bathroom, please.

3. Sexy Scabies Outbreak

Being a sexy black cat is out, this year is all about sexy scabies. All you need is a pair of bug antennae from Amazon and the PLT matching set from the back of your wardrobe. I promise that you and your girls will be the most sickening group costume on Cowgate (pun intended).

4. Sneaky Petes Enthusiast

The lights came on sneaky…

For those who missed tickets for the Sweat Tour, why not dress up as a Sneaky Petes clubber? Channel your btec Berghain wannabe, with visors, a bumbag, and maybe another little bag… we all know you can’t just be there for the beats.

5. Sir Peter Mathieson’s Air Crew

Need a repurposing for a pilot costume? Why not cosplay as an air hostess or pilot who could be found on one of  Sir Peter Mathieson’s many student-funded business flights? Someone else could dress up as the vice chancellor to really fly the message home. Hugh Hefner and his playgirls are out – Peter Mathieson and his carbon footprint are in.

6. Gari Baldi

Now I know that’s not Sheldon Cooper-

For lovers of the Garibaldi’s stripper pole, you can dress up as the man, the myth, the legend, Gari himself. All you need is a bald cap, a Gari name tag and your best pole dancing skills. A perfect last-minute costume for those less focused on putting effort into their costume, and more on getting obliterated during Halloweekend. x

7. Edinburgh Uni Wanker

I’m sure this one doesn’t come as a surprise after all the possibilities are endless…

Why not be a Pollock girly? You’ll need a thrifted thin scarf, a pair of Tom’s Trunks trousers, and a lot of chunky layered jewellery (signet ring required). Top it off with a black North Face puffer or an afghan coat. Armed with a slicked back bun and blue-light glasses you are ready for the wankiest Love Wednesday ever.

If that’s too tame why not go for the classic Edi sports boy wearing his linen quarterzip? Put on a “dutty” accent and embrace your inner Tarquin for the night. Just remember that once Halloween is over, the persona needs to be left behind.

8. Dexter and Emma from “One Day”

I think Emma would’ve loved Armstrong’s

Time for everyone’s favourite situationship; why not dress up as Edinburgh’s modern Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley this Halloween?  You and a partner can ransack Armstrong’s together to find your 80s-inspired outfits and recreate some iconic scenes from One Day across Old Town. Just try to avoid any cyclists x

9. Napier’s Three Campuses

This one’s for all my Napier girlies looking for a group costume. Gather your friends and dress up as each one of the Napier campuses. Sport a lab coat and some goggles to be a Sighthill woman in STEM, wear some artsy clothes and lots of jewellery to represent the creativity of Merchiston’s design and media student and brush up your finest suit and tie for Craiglockhart’s finance bros.

10. Rah Rugby Boy

It’s time to dust off the blue shirt and chino combo for this costume. The rule of thumb is to dress as a Jeremy Clarkson enthusiast with just a hint of athleticism because, let’s be honest, “intramural” just means bench-warming beer drinkers. With an IPA in hand and a team tie wrapped around your forehead you’ll play the part perfectly, but maybe leave the actual playing on the pitch lads x.

Related articles recommended by this writer