Edinburgh University ranked 4th for most animal testing carried out in UK universities

The list was made featuring Russell Group universities and a number of other UK organisations

Edinburgh University has been listed amongst the 10 organisations accounting for over half of all the animal testing done in the UK in 2023. 

The report, carried out by Understanding Animal Research (UAR), also revealed that out of the 10 organisations testing on animals the most, eight of these are Russell Group universities. 

Edinburgh ranked fourth on the university list, with the University of Cambridge ranking first. The University of Glasgow was ranked seventh, being the only other Scottish university to be on the list. 

In 2023, Edinburgh University carried out 139,881 tests on animals. The data reveals that the university used a huge range of animals including mice and rats (94,761), fish such as zebrafish, salmon and rainbow trout (42,665), chickens and quails (1,599), as well as cows, sheep and pigs (558).

The university also carried out research on 298 animals that were either monitored in the wild or captured and released, such as deer, sheep and wild birds. 

The University of Edinburgh states that statistics are based on “regulated procedures” however these procedures “may cause the animal a level of pain, suffering, distress or lasting harm equivalent to, or higher than, that caused by inserting a hypodermic needle in line with good veterinary practice.”.

The UAR’s report also documents the perceived severity levels of procedures. These levels range from:

Sub-threshold: Causes less pain than inserting a hypodermic needle, with no significant suffering.

Non-recovery: Performed under general anaesthesia, and the animal is euthanised before waking.

Mild: Causes brief, minor discomfort, similar to an injection or blood draw.

Moderate: Creates noticeable but not life-threatening disruption, such as surgery with post-op pain relief.

84.5 per cent of animal research carried out by Edinburgh ranged in the sub-threshold to mild category with 12.4 per cent of research being marked as moderate and 1.3 per cent labelled as severe.

The University of Edinburgh has reduced the number of animals used in research since 2022, however, UAR notes the wider institutional problem with 82% of all procedures carried out by the top 10 organisations classified as causing pain equivalent to, or less than, an injection.

Dr Catherine Martin, Vice-Principal of Corporate Services at the University of Edinburgh has said:

“Research involving animals plays an important role in helping world-leading researchers at the University of Edinburgh to address some of the most difficult problems in human and animal health. We use alternatives wherever it is possible, but some important questions can still only be answered by using animals as part of our research. As an institution, we are deeply committed to maintaining the highest standards of animal welfare, and to putting into practice the principles of replacing, refining and reducing the use of animals in our research.” 

Related Articles recommended by this writer: