Nicholas Chavez with men dressed in Halloween costumes as Lyle and Erik Menendez

Nicholas Chavez dragged for posing with fans who appear to be dressed as Menendez brothers

‘So disrespectful and disgusting’

Nicholas Chavez is being dragged after pictures were posted of him posing with people who appear to be dressed as the Menendez brothers. Nicholas Chaves played Lyle in Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story on Netflix, and now people have called him out for being “disrespectful” with the photos.

Over the weekend, Nicholas Chavez attended a Halloween event, and a series of pictures were then shared of him with two men in blood-stained costumes. The men were wearing polo shirts and shorts with jumpers over their shoulders, and the same sunglasses Lyle and Erik were depicted wearing throughout the Netflix series.

Chavez stood in between the two, smiling and happily posing with them. Nicholas shared some pictures this weekend of him and his girlfriend, Victoria Abbott, dressed as Wallace and Gromit for Halloween.

Twitter has been outraged by Nicholas and the pictures. One said: “Abused children are not costumes.” Another added: “A survivor cannot take off a costume at the end of the day. The pain is always there.”

Another said: “This genuinely p*sses me off so bad, because how did he PLAY one of the brothers just to not give a f*ck about Lyle or Erik at all.. it’s so disrespectful and disgusting.”

via Facebook

Others have shared a post appearing to come from a Facebook page belonging to the real Lyle Menendez, on which he called out people who dress as himself and his brother and think of them as “costumes.” The post said: “I don’t know who needs to hear this, but dressing up as rape survivors for Halloween is disgusting and despicable.”

People have also said this will be the end of the internet’s obsession with the actor, following edits of him as Lyle getting millions of views on TikTok. “Welp Nicholas Chavez it was nice to know you and being obsessed with you for like a week,” someone said.

Reddit has also been discussing the costumes in a thread, with a few people discussing their “disappointment” in Nicholas, but said the blame mostly lies with the other men. “Honestly I’m kinda disappointed with Nicholas after seeing this as he could have easily said no to taking pictures with them,” one person said.

Another added: “It’s distasteful and messed up for him to take this picture but most of the hate needs to go towards these guys.” In a reply, someone said: “I disagree he willingly took the picture with them. He’s entertaining it.”

Nicholas hasn’t commented on the backlash.

The Menendez Brothers is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.