Hot to trot: Meet the models for this year’s Edinburgh Charity Fashion Show

We caught up with the students who will be pounding down the runway on Saturday

Cancelled last year for obvious reasons, this year’s Edinburgh Charity Fashion Show (ECFS) looks to make up for lost time. Featuring twice as many models as it’s last show nearly two years ago, Saturday’s show will be hosted in an iconic venue: the National Museum of Scotland.

This year, the show – which is the second largest of its kind in the United Kingdom – will be raising money for two charities.

The first is Strut Safe, a volunteer service run by Edinburgh students and grads that helps people get home safely who are hoping to expand nationally. As well as Mellon Educate, an Irish African development charity focusing on improving education and rebuilding infrastructure in some of Africa’s most impoverished communities.

The theme is Modern Renaissance, but don’t be afraid to add a little blue for the Teen Vogue party.

The Edinburgh Tab caught up with a few of the models to get to know who’ll be serving sustainable couture down the runway this Saturday a little better.

As Debby Ryan once said: “Let’s make history”.

Nicole Stark, second year, History of Art and English

Nicole Stark (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song?

Defo Vanished by Crystal Castles

2. What’s the coolest thing about being involved with ECFS? 

I’m also the ECFS Social Media Exec so my fave part alongside modelling is being able to interact with attendees!

3. What’s the worst current fashion trend? 

The apparent return of the white tank top… we all know it’s true name….

Jackson Bourne, fourth year, Artificial Intelligence and Maths

Jackson Bourne (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Hedwig’s Theme from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

Free bagels (<3 Bross Bagels)

3. What’s the worst current fashion trend, in your opinion?

The fact it’s no longer acceptable to wear double Hollister trackies.

Hannah Mcbeer, second year, Sociology and Politics

Hannah McBeer (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Supermassive Black Hole by Muse

Definitely being able to help show different body types and genders on a catwalk. As a bigger non-binary person I feel like I never see people who look like me doing stuff like this.

Even though it’s not a “trend” as such I think that greenwashing by fast fashion companies as a response to people wanting to buy sustainable really sucks.

Sandy Malcom, third year, Law LLB

Sandy Malcom (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Madonna – Vogue. Slow enough for a good walk but undeniably funky. Or Maybe Cece Peniston – Finally (the MTV Edit). Such a feel good anthem for a fun runway.

Just being around uniquely stylish people. The other models and committee all dress so well, which encourages me to up my game a bit.

3. What’s the worst current fashion trend, in your opinion? 

I think it’s more important than ever to dress in a way that expresses your true self. So I’m going to cheat and say that the worst fashion trend is trying to fit in with conventional/fast fashion trends at the expense of originality and self expression.

Isla Gavan McHarg, third year, Psychology 

Isla Gavan McHarg (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Do I Wanna Know by the Arctic Monkeys (or anything with a good beat).

I think the coolest thing is actually walking in the show and getting to see how everything’s come together after all the prep.

Definitely Uggs.

Sacha Tayyer-Barnes, fourth year, History of Art and English Literature

Sacha Tayyer-Barnes  (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Maneater by Nelly Furtado is a BOP but I also think something really intense like Flight of the Valkyries would be hilarious.

I love the emphasis on sustainability. It’s really encouraging to see young designers make environmentally-conscious decisions and getting innovative with the materials they’re using.

North Face puffers and flared leggings. You know who you are, do better.

Rhea Buffini, third year, English Literature

Rhea Buffini (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Point and Kill by Little Simz

As I’m involved in the committee too it’s seeing all the elements go together – creative, logistics, marketing, modelling. I’m so excited to see the finished product.

Hmmm maybe the sport hiking wear as clothing – I know that’s a controversial opinion.

Edward Esiri-Bloom, third year, Medicine

Edward Esiri-Bloom (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

Fierce by Azealia Banks!

I think getting to see all the different garments is amazing. Plus walking the catwalk is always a great feeling.

Those Euphoria trousers with the cutouts

Maya Sargent, fourth year, English Literature

Maya Sergeant, (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Lowrie Evans, @lowri_g_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

This is such a hard question. I’m not sure I have a specific song but probably something by Beyoncé.

2. What’s the coolest thing about being involved in ECFS? 

The promotion of sustainable fashion to raise money for charities that will have a direct impact on the Edinburgh community and working with so many creative people!

Low rise jeans…. it’s a love/hate relationship…

Cosmo Wezenbeek, third year, Architecture

Cosmo Wezenbeek (Photo courtesy of ECFS, photographer: Phoebe Janes, @phoebes_photographs_)

1. What’s your dream catwalk song? 

My song choice would be “You Might Think He Loves You for Your Money but I Know What He Really Loves You for It’s Your Brand New Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat” by Death Grips

I would say the coolest thing about being involved with ECFS is being part of realising the art that many of these designers create. I think it’s an honour being part of that in a small way by wearing their work.

I think the trend that should have died a long time ago, but somehow keeps coming back is ripped skinny jeans.

There’s still a few tickets available, you can get your hands on them here.

Recommended related articles by this writer

• Here’s a round up of Edi’s best dressed at The Races 2022

Here’s a roundup of the best dressed in Edinburgh’s Main Library right now

• Here are the best ways to spend St Paddy’s Day in Edinburgh