Here’s how to celebrate International Women’s Day in Edinburgh this year

For the brave, there’s a sunrise swim

International Women’s Day is right around the corner, happening this Friday on the 8th of March. The theme of the year is “Inspire Inclusion” and there are plenty of events taking place in Edinburgh to mark the occasion.

Here’s a roundup of what’s going on and how you can get involved.

International Women’s Day Sunrise Swim

When? Friday 8th March at sunrise (approx. 6.45am)

Where? Portobello Beach, outside the Portobello Swim Centre

via @swimriseportobello on Instagram

A yearly staple – once again the IWD sunrise swim, hosted by Swimrise Portobello, will be held this Friday on the beach. Each year, hundreds of women gather outside the Swim Centre to run into the sea as the sun comes up, in celebration and appreciation of womanhood.

Donations to a women’s charity of choice are encouraged, and warm layers of clothing for after the swim are essential.

More information can be found on their Facebook page or on their Instagram.

For charity donations: Women’s Aid, Edinburgh Women’s Aid, Refuge and Scottish Women’s Aid.

University of Edinburgh International Women’s Day Lecture

When? 17.45, Friday 8th March

Where? Lecture Theatre G.03, 50 George Square

Every year, on International Women’s Day, the university hosts a celebratory lecture. This year’s talk, called “50 Ways”, will be delivered by Amina Shah, National Librarian and Chief Executive of the National Library of Scotland.

Shah will reflect on her 50 years of life through looking at the women who have inspired her, whilst contemplating the next 50 years to come. The event is in collaboration with the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Gender.Ed.

It’s a free ticketed event and tickets can be found here.

International Women’s Day and the Stories We Tell About Feminism

When? 11.00, Friday 8th March

Where? Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, 2 Hope Park Square.

Another event which promises to be insightful and inspiring, this talk by Dr. Rosa Campbell will explore how feminism is currently being presented, and how we can look to global histories of feminism to expand our understanding of the subject.

Hosted by the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Gender.Ed, the talk has limited tickets still available, so act fast if you’re interested.

“Paint your Feminism” hosted by Girl*Up Edinburgh

When? 4pm, Friday 8th March

Where? Teaching Room 3, Old College

via @girlupedinburgh on Instagram

For a more creative way to celebrate, Girl Up Edinburgh is hosting a painting event in honour of International Women’s Day.

Called “Paint Your Feminism”, the event offers an opportunity to express through art what feminism and IWD means to you.

Materials will be provided, but you’re encouraged to bring your own if you want to.

Related articles recommended by this writer: