An Edinburgh Uni student is taking part in the Great British Bake Off this year

Your lockdown banana bread could never

While you all were making mediocre banana bread in lockdown, an Edinburgh University student was one of the 12 competitors on this year’s season of the Great British Bake Off.

Peter Sawkins is a 20-year-old Accounting and Finance student who’s from Edinburgh. Maybe we’ll finally have ourselves a Scottish winner?

He says he was inspired to start baking by watching Bake Off and has been baking since he was 12.

Peter loves to pay homage to his homeland and cook with traditional Scottish ingredients such as berries, whisky, oats and honey. Sadly, it doesn’t look like he’ll be doing a Tennent’s inspired bake.

He’s also a competitive badminton player who has been playing for a decade and represents his county in the sport.

Peter’s Instagram is filled with his homemade bakes such as cinnamon palmiers, sourdough rye, and cranachan gateau. Your banana bread is looking worse and worse.

This year’s Bake Off will look different from years past. The cast and crew formed an isolation bubble, contestants were given a practice kitchen to use on days off, and they even experienced a flour shortage.

Let’s just hope that through it all, Peter will manage at least on Paul Hollywood handshake.

Related articles recommend by this writer

Meet the contestants of this year’s Great British Bake Off

Disinfectant and flour shortages: Everything we know about this year’s Bake Off

RIP The Great British Bake Off (2010-2019): You used to be so good