Three people stabbed after unprovoked Grassmarket attack last night

The attacker struck at random

Hide Images

Edinburgh Police are hunting for an attacker who stabbed two women on Grassmarket in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The man, said to be white, 5'10" and of an average build, approached the women, aged 58 and 60, at random as they stood outside the Apex Hotel, where they were believed to be staying as guests, before attacking them with a knife. The attack took place at 3:35 am.

Both women were taken to the Royal Infirmary with a number of injuries to the face and body, along with a 37-year old hotel employee who suffered a hand injury after stepping in to help the women.

Detective Inspector Grant Johnston from Gayfield CID said:

“This appears to be an entirely random and unprovoked attack, which has left three people with some very serious injuries. As part of this investigation we are reviewing CCTV in the Grassmarket and are keen to hear from any members of the public who were in the area at the time and witnessed what happened, or who can help us trace the suspect. In addition, should you have any other information relevant to this inquiry, then please also contact police immediately.”

Anyone with information about the incident can contact Gayfield CID on the number 101, quoting incident number 299.