Vice-Chancellor Stuart Corbridge to retire next year

The news comes in the midst of exam season and a global pandemic

In an email addressed to students, Vice-Chancellor Stuart Corbridge has announced that he will be retiring on July 31 2021. The email states the reason for his retirement as due to health reasons, but he will continue to lead the University at full capacity until that date.

Vice-Chancellor Corbridge has held the role for the past five years, which he describes as being an “immense privilege for me both as a leader and as an academic”.

The email continues by saying that “as a community we have achieved so much with our University Strategy to transform our research, education and wider student experience.  I am very proud of those collective achievements.”

“We continue to be a world-leading University, albeit we now face many challenges caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, like all universities.”

“I remain immensely grateful to all of the colleagues, students and friends of the University who have supported me through my tenure as Vice-Chancellor, and with whom I will continue to work over the next academic year.”

An international search to fill the position will be lead by the University’s governing body, with a replacement expected to be found by early 2021.