DSU ‘Task Force’ set up to tackle lad culture

The SU and uni have teamed up to stop sexual violence

Sexist behaviour is in the firing line of DSU’s new task force set up to tackle lad culture.

The Sexual Violence Task Force was launched in July, and has now be joined by the Uni and the police.

There is growing concern that Freshers’ Week will allow ‘bad lad’ culture to settle in.  To combat this, college fresher reps will be receiving training on spotting inappropriate groping, touching and sexual violence.

The Community Officer of the DSU, Esther Green told The Tab: “This year we are delivering active bystander training to all college freshers’ reps. This training empowers recipients to tackle inappropriate behaviour when they see it. It specifically covers sexual harassment.

“I am a member of the University’s sexual violence task force. As a group we will be looking at the local picture in Durham and listening to students. The group is working to ensure Durham University is a safe and inclusive environment for all students.”

Reclaim The Night in Manchester

There is also a website where victims of sexual violence can discuss issues such as the language of consent and abuse in relationships.

A message on the site says: “We are dedicated to raising awareness about sexual violence and working with members of Durham University and the wider community to ensure that Durham is a safe place for all people.”

The Pro-Vice Chancellor, Graham Towl, has joined DSU Pres Millie Tanner in a bid to stop “harmless banter” becoming hurtful misogyny. This comes after The Tab revealed consent classes will be made compulsory for Freshers.

The “It Happens Here” campaign, modelled on our older Oxford rival, also spoke at the launch event of the Task Force.

A consent class in Oxford. We will see similar ones in Durham

The launch event included non-Uni voices with Durham’s Centre for Research into Violence and Abuse speaking, after an apparently successful workshop back in July called ‘A Call to Men UK.’

At the end of last term, however, Men’s Rights Activist Adam Frost launched Durham Uni Male Human Rights Society, winning praise from journalist Milo Yiannopolous.

Milo told The Tab at the time: “Feminists have even succeeded in establishing compulsory ‘consent classes’ at many colleges, the message of which is: men, you are all potential rapists. That’s appalling: they should be scrapped.”

Two years after The Tab exposed shocking sexism at Cuth’s RFC, the Team Durham Code of Conduct now states that ‘excessive alcohol consumption, illegal or inappropriate behaviour during club socials’ is strictly banned.