Durham University to introduce specialist support team for freshers rejected from Oxbridge

A leaked email explained how eligible students can receive free counselling throughout Michaelmas term

Durham University has announced plans to provide specialist support for first year students who were rejected from Oxbridge Universities.

In a leaked email sent to staff, the university revealed that incoming freshers who have been rejected from Oxford or Cambridge University will be eligible for support funded by the university.

Students who enroll to Durham after being rejected from either Oxford or Cambridge will be offered a course of free counselling throughout Michaelmas term.

Outlining that the sessions have been specifically tailored to support first year students, the email explained that they will “help mitigate the potential negative effects of their rejection and facilitate their transition into university life at Durham”.

April, a second year student at Durham University, told The Durham Tab how the trauma of being rejected from Oxford affected her academic performance. She said: “The devastation of the oxbridge rejection became a real distraction for me in first year. I used to be an A* student but after facing rejection from my dream university I struggled to even get a 2:1.

“I know lots of other Oxbridge rejects at Durham, and many have gone on to fail whole modules because of the distress it causes.”

Another Durham student, Jules, explained their gratitude towards the university for finally implementing support for students that will endure the same experience as she did. They said: “I’m so thankful the board are finally recognising the upset we Oxbridge rejects experience.

“I’ve been legitimately grieving ever since being rejected from Gonville & Caius College. If only they introduced the scheme sooner.”

More details of the scheme are expected to be released over summer.

You should probably check the date, you April fools!