Beezin: the new gateway drug craze soon to hit Durham

Forget MD, LAURA IDDLES gives you the low-down on the weirdest drug that’s set to hit Durham any day.

In case you guys over at Nova haven’t heard of it yet, ‘Beezin’ is the new legal high on the street. Allow me to explain.

Currently buzzing its way through the USA, the craze started when some smart folk from across the pond thought it’d be a good idea to whack some Burt’s Bees lip balm (yep, you heard right) on his eyelids. It’s what the teens of the US of A have been doing in their spare time to take their minds off homework, slapping it on for a few minutes of ‘sweet relief’ (cause exams are a big deal when you’re 15.)

But first, let me take a selfie

The deal is that the peppermint oil in the lip balm creates an intensified feeling on the lids that is similar to how you feel when you are drunk or high.

If you don’t happen to have any Burt’s Bees, which is a pricier lip balm than most (but, to be fair, you can’t get high off lip salve), then any other lip balms with a high percentage of peppermint oil will do. If you’re looking for a more ‘budget buzz’, I’d give Carmex a go, although you obviously won’t look as cool when you snap your beezin selfie.

I’m not sure it’s what Burt had in mind

Health risks associated with beezin are pretty damn high. It can cause the classic pink eye, donned by most stoners, but there’s also the added risk of herpes if you have had a cold sore whilst using your lip balm, as it’s likely that if then used on your eyelids you could spread the infection to the area, which would not be pretty with college days looming.

Burt’s bees themselves have released a statement saying “there are lots of natural things that probably shouldn’t go in eyes; dirt, twigs, leaves, food – and our lip balm.” To be honest, Burt sounds like a sound guy.

I can imagine that this kind of activity may appeal to those of you at Jo Butler who have fuck all to do, but for any of you with an actual social life, I’d just stick to the 346 trebles on a Monday night. The vodka they sell there is barely legal anyway.

Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it?