Stress high as housing panic sets in!

As November dawns, students across Durham begin to panic about who they are going to live with next year and the annual phenomenon takes hold once again.

It’s that time of year.  Freshers have begun rushing into living with people they barely know whilst prospective third and fourth years are brutally ditching unfit housemates by signing a house first, and telling them second.

Landlords splash out on appliance durability

Not only are Durham rent prices pretty high, there is the added stress of choosing where exactly to settle. The rush for Church Street starts early as students try to locate the optimum distance between town and the science site.

The prospect is exciting, though the reality is that annoying habits your housemates managed to hide throughout freshers will start to emerge the minute you move in. Even if you think they are hell to live with, they will probably still ditch you in favour of a better house next year.

At least fourth years know they can always go back to college. As for linguists, they get to sit idly by whilst everyone else knocks on doors across town for half-arsed tours of garish carpets and damp smells.

The lad’s house: fun, but only in theory

When asked about problems in his house, one tired student said, “Sometimes when you have a shower it goes cold and you have to run down to the attic to adjust the gauge. There is a leak somewhere but it is underground so can’t be fixed.” Needless to say no one wants to spend £80 a week running naked from the shower down to a place usually in the loft.

The coveted double bed: a post-Klute necessity

Signing is scary, but don’t rush; you’ll end up being overcharged and stuck with the wrong people. Think about it, let friendships settle, and when the crunch time comes don’t be afraid to play dirty. After all if it’s the difference between a double bed and the breakdown of a friendship, we all know which one will ultimately take priority.