Sports Minister to Open £6.7 Million Sporting Facility

Good Times for University Sport

durham durham university Hugh Robertson Maiden Castle MP

Durham rowers, cricketers and fencers are set to rejoice as the long-awaited sport facilities at Maiden castle are to be officially opened by a high-ranking government minister on Tuesday 21st of February.

On that day Durham University will play host to Sports Minister Hugh Robertson MP as he opens this new, world-class sports facility.

The grand opening will take place at the Graham Sports Centre up at Maiden Castle, with Mr. Robertson opening the doors to some positively palatial new sporting features.

These include a £1 million indoor powered rowing tanks, which is one of only three in the UK and the only one in the North, a world class fencing facility unlike any other in the UK, and an extended sports hall allowing for increased indoor cricket provision, including a variety of practice surfaces and bowling machines.

Present at this celebration of Durham sport will be potential Team GB athletes from fencing and rowing who are studying at Durham University, as well as the GB Paralympic fencing coach and a wheelchair fencer who is also a student at Durham.

Also present will be University Vice-Chancellor Chris Higgins.

The facility was supported by a £500,000 grant from Sport England as part of its Places People Play programme.

It is hoped that such facilities will make Durham even more competitive in the BUCS championship, to see if we can help continue this golden age for Durham sport.