Image may contain: Brick, Animal, Bird, Sculpture, Art, Statue

These are the weird Coventry landmarks that you walk past everyday

Ok but what actually is the Elephant building

You may think that Coventry is a concrete jungle with nothing to offer other than three Gregg’s five minutes away from each other. You’d be right. But there are actually loads of weird, hidden sights on campus. You’re just so used to storming to your 9am and back that you casually overlook them.

Like did you know there’s huge elephant near The Hub? Or the bougie as hell statues hidden all throughout the city? These are just a few of the coolest landmarks you may have missed.

Easter Island Head Jesus

Image may contain: Sitting, Arched, Arch, Park Bench, Bench, Architecture, Building, Furniture

If you ever wandered around the ruins, you too may have wondered: why is there an Easter Island head in here? This marble statue was carved by Sir Jacob Epstein, before World War II, and is actually sculpted to represent Christ. If you look close enough you can see thorns at the top of the statue sitting on top of the head.

Front statues of Coventry’s New Cathedral

Image may contain: Bird, Animal, Brick, Sculpture, Art, Statue

This monument opposite the Alan Berry building depicts St. Michael’s victory of the devil and was sculpted by Sir Jacob Epstein in 1958. Kinda scary, kinda cool.

The Elephant

Image may contain: Convention Center, City, Town, Urban, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Freeway, Office Building, Intersection, Asphalt, Tarmac, Human, Person, Architecture, Building, Road

Well known as one of the weirdest and ugliest buildings in Cov, The Elephant (which doesn’t actually look that much like an elephant let’s be honest) actually has meaning behind it. Designed by Terence Gregory and Harry Noble – the building was unveiled in 1976.

It is shaped like an elephant because elephants are on Coventry’s city crest. This is because elephants are seen to represent strength – and what could stronger than that big metal beast? Much like the phoenix, they’re generally known as the city’s mascot.

This statue depicts two loves embracing one another

Image may contain: Building, Church, Altar, Architecture, Brick, Slate, Walkway, Path, Crypt, Human, Person, Flagstone

Originally sculpted by Josefina de Vasconcellos in 1977, the ‘Reconciliation’ statue was first presented at the University of Bradford as a memorial for their first Vice Chancellor, Professor Ted Edwards.

In 1995 Richard Branson (bloke from Virgin), commissioned replicas to be stationed at Coventry, Belfast, Hiroshima and Berlin – places which have been greatly affected by war. Thanks Rich.

Selfie kid

Image may contain: Flagstone, Campus, Architecture, Monument, Plant, Grass, Sculpture, Art, Statue, Building, Town, Urban, City, Downtown, Human, Person

‘Coventry Boy’ is a statue located beside the Foundation Building and was sculpted by Philip Bentham. The statue depicts a boy wearing one shoe who is standing on large steps beside a small factory, equipped with an apprentice certificate and the other hand a spanner.

The significance of this statue is that a common poor boy can reach success through hard work and determination and the depiction of him being an engineer is because of Coventry’s industrial roots.

George Elliot Garden

Image may contain: Soil

This garden is located in front of the George Elliot Building. Students are free to pick vegetables and fruits when they are ripe and ready to be eaten. Currently, new fruit and veg are being planted so you’re going to have to wait a bit.

Keep your pesky hands off those green beans.

Grass walls? Grass walls

Image may contain: Ground, Field, Sunlight, Plant, Grass, Flare, Light

If gravity is playing up you can have a jog sideways on the turf

This grass wall is located opposite Castle Grounds, it can make for a great backdrop for a picture with your friends. Insta opportunities everywhere – you just have to look for them.

Lady Godiva in all her nude glory

Image may contain: Animal, Horse, Mammal, Monument

This is a statue located in front of The Botanist and it depicts the Coventry story of Lady Godiva who rode through Coventry streets in the 11th century to protest tax. Be careful if you try to mount her for a pic though, you may fall and break your dignity.

Why exactly is there a spider in front of The Hub?

Image may contain: Flagstone, Furniture

This is a weird model of a spider in front of the hub. No one knows why its there, and no one questions it. It’s one of the most prominent overlooked things in the uni campus. We tried to find an explanation for it but couldn’t.

Spread the love

Image may contain: Plaque, Slate, Person, Human, Path, Walkway, Flagstone

This is a stone sculpture of two people hugging each other and was commissioned in 1990 in recognition of Coventry’s commitment to international friendship and reconciliation.

There’s more to this city than spoons and studying

Though there are more than a few rough patches in Cov, it’s a city with a rich industrial history. Next time you take that cold lonely walk to The Earl of Mercia, stop and look around. You may find a unique quirk that other cities don’t have.