Welsh student who defaced Captain Tom memorial with faeces could face four years in prison

Madeleine Budd was protesting the use of private jets in the UK

A Welsh former medical student could face up to four years in prison for defacing a memorial to Captain Sir Tom Moore with faeces. 

Madeleine Budd, 21, was charged with criminal damage after a video of her pouring what is believed to be human waste over a memorial of fundraising hero and army veteran Captain Tom was posted to Twitter. 

The act was carried out in Hatton, South Derbyshire and was uploaded to the End UK Private Jets’ Twitter account before being reported to the Derbyshire Police. The video has 440k views at the time of writing. 

via End UK Private Jets on Twitter

Madeleine appeared at Westminster magistrates court on Tuesday where she plead guilty to criminal damage. She was denied the chance to make a speech from the dock as the hearing ended. 

Madeleine is reportedly to be setenced under the tougher sentencing guidelines brought in by the Police, Crime, Sentencing, and Courts Act, which carried a maximum ten-year sentence for vandalising a memorial.

District Judge Louisa Cieciora adjourned sentencing until October 25th but said she had made a preliminary assessment that Madeleine could face up to four years in prison, the Evening Standard reports. Madeleine will now spend the next three weeks until her sentencing date in custody.

Madeleine has been linked to a number of other environmental protest groups and is suspected of plotting to set herself on fire at the Oval cricket ground.  The court heard that she had breached a conditional discharge from April by committing the offence.

Featured image via End UK Private Jets on Twitter.

Related stories suggested by this author: