The six types of Six Nations fans you’ll definitely meet at a pub in Cardiff

Which one are you??

Live sport can bring out the best and worst in all of us, and Rugby is no exception. From the most die-hard fans to the obvious outsiders who don’t know the rules, you will find different kinds of crowds channelling their passion for the game during the season.

So, here’s presenting to you the six types of fans you’ll definitely bump into at a Cardiff pub this Six Nations:

1. The Try-Hard

These guys and gals played rugby for their county and if it wasn’t for that one injury back in 2016, they’d be playing for their country today.

Accompanied by several double pints of Guinness, they usually move in herds as part of a team social and can be identified by their shouting at the ref through the screen. Providing the volume to the anthems, their proud voices will sing out in 12 different keys, and following the match they can be found looking for a scrap anywhere and everywhere.

If you’re a novice to the sport, these guys will quickly get you up to speed, and there’s no group more entertaining to sit with if you want passionate and comedic reactions to the game.

Playing both sides

“I’m supporting Ireland because my mother’s cousin’s neighbour was 1/16th Irish”. Sound familiar?

We all know friends who, despite living in England all their life, suddenly see red, green, or blue for the Six Nations. The story of why they change their loyalties from game to game becomes more complex each time, since how would you ever check if they were born in Paris or not? Having mixed investment in the results of each game, it is hard to get these people down, as they’ll always look on the bright side when their third favourite team beat Italy.

These people are also annoying losers — if by some miracle one of their many home countries loses, you’ll hear every excuse under the sun.

The Grand-Slammed

The resident alcoholics of Cathays!

These people are only there for a good time. Any excuse for a pint or ten with their friends, and to them the Six Nations is nothing but an enabler. Cheers from these tables are de-synced with the rest of the pub since it’s usually following another downed pint.

Though they may not survive the full 80 minutes, this group provides a unique pub atmosphere that anyone who has watched the game alone at home will miss. They are also a staple of the pub Six Nation experience.

The Backseat Coach

They’ve memorised the rulebook and brought along a scorecard of their own to fill in. The backseat coach will be disputing decisions left, right and inside centre, despite never having played a competitive game themselves. If you want to know the current standings, points differences and how many days it’s been since England won the Calcutta Cup, this is who to ask.

To be honest they’ll likely tell you even if you didn’t ask. Very useful for explaining the offside rules and why Wales were lucky to go cardless against Scotland, every group has an honorary backseat coach to bombard with questions throughout the game, usually answering all too obligingly.

Zammit’s future wife

They heard that Louis Rees-Zammit might still be single, and here’s hoping that after the match he ends up going out, and who should he bump into but them?

Initially undecided about which team to support due to their mixed nationality, they think “maybe I’ll go with the 3/4 English in me, but damn do I look good in red.” An hour later, they’ve got dragon face paint and immaculate hair, just in case they bump into that fit player later (fantasies eh…).

For these people, the game is simply pres for the coming night out, and despite not keeping track of the points throughout the match, they’re hoping to get a final score later that night at JUICE.

The Italy

Not really understanding the rules, this friend was brought along because you felt bad leaving them out, and at least you won’t be sitting alone. These people go for the atmosphere, making the most of the occasion to socialise without really minding who wins.

Despite not having the same passion for the game as some of the other groups, these apathetic fans make up a large percentage of any pub on match day, and thankfully their lack of screaming at the TV helps to balance out the noise from the Try-Hards and Backseat Coaches.

So there you have it, the best and worst of the Six Nations rugby crowd that you’ll meet at a Cardiff pub. And if you haven’t met them yet — it’s probably you. Sorry not sorry.

Recommended articles by this writer:

This is what it was like being one of the lucky ones in the stadium for the Wales vs Scotland game 

We celebrated Valentine’s Day with our best gals at home for under £15

Things you need to understand if you’re an English fan living in Wales