This is how Storm Eunice has affected Cardiff so far

The red-alert level storm caused damage across Cardiff on Friday

A rare red weather alert was put in place in Wales on Friday as Storm Eunice arrived in Cardiff, amongst other places. The warning suggested a “significant danger to life”, and as such residents were advised to stay indoors where possible, with university teaching and other services moved online.

The strong winds caused carnage and chaos across the capital city, leading to closure of shops, collapsing roofs and buildings, and things like bins and trampolines flying around.

According to WalesOnline, the Cardiff City House of Sport Air Dome, an inflatable dome in Leckwith used for sports training in the winter months collapsed due to the storm. Although it has been confirmed that nobody was hurt, Cardiff City House of Sport have announced that the Air Dome will be out of action “for the foreseeable future”.

In Rhiwbina, a house has been struck by a falling tree estimated to be over 70ft tall. The roof, window and gate received damage, although the elderly resident of the Lon-Y-Dderwen house was unaffected. 

Storm Eunice’s damage also led to debris from the roof of a Tesco Express in Mermaid Quay landing in the garden of the Eli Jenkins pub, leading to the nearby shopping centre being closed off. 

Nearby, falling scaffolding from the top of Westminster House, home to Popworld nightclub, has led to the taping-off of parts of St Mary Street. 

While damage continues to be reported across Cardiff, BBC Weather forecaster Sue Charles has suggested that the storm “is starting to clear Wales and track eastwards.”