Image may contain: Window, Urban, Building, Neighborhood, Machine

Gwdihŵ’s demolition has been put on hold for three months

The protest to save Guildford Crescent will still be taking place tomorrow

Towards the end of last year, it was announced that Gwdihŵ was being shutdown this January due to the planned demolition of Guildford Crescent.

The planned closure of the bar shocked many fans of the Cardiff hangout, with a petition to save Guildford Crescent gathering over 20,000 signatures in the space of a few days.

The closure of the bar, along with two other businesses on the Crescent Madeira and Thai House was due to take place next week. However, Cardiff Council have now announced that their demolition won't take place for another three months.

Image may contain: Inn, Street, Town, City, Road, Hotel, Neighborhood, Postal Office, Urban, Building

The Crescent was set to be demolished following the closure of its businesses at the end of January

Lead Councillor Huw Thomas, spoke with the Rapport family who own the buildings, during which they revealed their plans to postpone the demolition.

Huw Thomas has said: “During our discussions I urged the landowners to reconsider their position regarding the termination of business leases held by the current tenants of Guildford Crescent.

"While the tenancy arrangements are out of the council’s hands, we have re-emphasised the importance of these businesses to this area and their value to the identity of the city…we are actively working with Gwdihŵ to help them relocate in the city if the need arises."

The Rapport family are being encouraged by the council to also extend the leases of the businesses for the three months. However, it has not yet been announced whether Gwdihŵ, Thai House and Madeira will be able to remain open during these next three months as staff had already been given notice of the planned closure on the 31st of January.

A planned march as part of the Save Gwdihŵ and Guildford Crescent Campaign will still take place tomorrow in a bid to save the businesses, despite recent news of the delayed demolition.

Daniel Minty, the leader of the campaign has said: "The buildings are of historical importance to people. I welcome the fact that they are not going to be demolished for three months, but what's going to happen in three months?"

The march to save Guildford Crescent will starting tomorrow, January the 19th, at 2pm down Womanby Street, finishing at Guildford Crescent.

A sold-out concert headlined by Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys will then take place after in Gwdihŵ.