Review: No Exit

Zainab Athumani’s take on this existentialist fever dream makes death seem more alive than ever

Dubbed the leading figure of existentialism, Jean-Paul Sartre’s ‘No Exit’ explores themes of perception, sin and humanity. The plot follows the recently deceased Joseph, Estelle and Inèz, who are brought into a room in which they will spend the rest of their hellish afterlives, eventually discovering that their punishment is each other. This production evoked an incredibly effective response from the audience, as we share in the suffering and discomfort of the characters themselves due to stunning performances and an atmosphere that suited the play to a T.

Image credits: Zainab Athumani

One of the main challenges of this play is the fact that it is essentially one-and-a-half hours of dialogue in one room, with no change of setting or time, which could easily become boring (of course, adding to the monotony of death itself). However, director Zainab Athumani and assistant director Esme Bishop emerged triumphant in creating a brilliantly entertaining experience that keeps you hooked until the splendidly abrupt end.

Great care and attention were taken to foster an uncomfortable yet intriguing atmosphere through the innovative set design: although I never would’ve imagined hell to be a room with a swirling floor, second empire furniture and jarring asylum-esque lighting, it is incredibly effective in adding to a general otherworldly and hallucinatory presentation of the afterlife.

The dreamy nostalgia of the pink lighting used for the scenes looking onto earth also was a welcome refuge from the harsh white light that placed the trio under harsh scrutiny, allowing all their flaws to come into plain sight.

The rock soundtrack, combined with looped guitar riffs such as the opening from ‘Psycho Killer’ by the Talking Heads not only added to the maddening repetitiveness of the afterlife, but imbued  the otherwise truly deplorable sins of the characters with style and flair.

Image credits: Zainab Athumani

The best part however, definitely came down to the excellent acting of the cast; as I walked out of the theatre, I overheard a couple arguing about which of the three was their favourite. They weren’t able to come to a conclusion, which acts as a fitting testament to the equal brilliance of the three. Generally, their dynamism and chemistry were convincing and displayed an incredible closeness.

Image credits: Zainab Athumani

Hugo Gregg as Joseph Garcin embodies the perfect balance of dry wit and humour with a tantalising male manipulator elegance that contrasts the other two in a threatening yet intriguing way. By starting off the play with a strong impression of contempt and derision, his latter performance of a deeply insecure and ego-centric figure becomes even more impressive on the mind.

Charlie Scott-Haynes as Estelle Rigault is simply resplendent – her coquettish and superficial (yet, incredibly joyful and bright) characterisation of Estelle is incredibly refreshing in the midst of the other dark and brooding characters. This makes her lamentable confession and tear-inducing monologues extremely moving as we come into contact with the girl craving validation beneath the polished exterior.

Image credits: Zainab Athumani

Katya Stylianou‘s Inèz Serrano I absolutely adored – she plays the mischievous and sadistic role with incredible confidence; her stage presence as a threatening and provocative character to the other two works remarkably well. Her moments of emotion and sympathy allow us access to a complex characterisation that Katya mastered.

Special mention must also go to the Valet, Charis Lister, who greets the audience with her wanderings on the stage. Her capricious and cheeky replies to Garcin’s incessant questions are a delight and her presence even when not engaging in dialogue is constantly precise and fitting to her character.

Image credits: Zainab Athumani

Overall this production of ‘No Exit’ is sublime – I can name no faults and they have done a magnificent job in maintaining interest constantly, which is a hard feat to achieve, but one successfully accomplished through the perfect casting of a vibrant and talented cast, and one of the most intriguing set designs I’ve seen in the Corpus Playroom. I had high hopes, all of which were fulfilled and exceeded, in this play’s innovative production that breathes a fresh breath of life into existentialism.

5/5

No Exit is showing on the 1st – 5th of October at 7:00 pm at the Corpus Playroom. Book your tickets here.

Feature image credit: Zainab Athumani

A Glamorous Guide to Winter Ballin’ in Cambridge

Review: Chess

Nine types of Cambridge students you’ll see on BeReal