Pro-Vice-Chancellor threatens legal action over Sidgwick occupation

Students were informed that they do not have permission to occupy the building

Earlier today, (23/02), Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Graham Virgo, wrote to occupants of the lecture block on Sidgwick site to inform them they do not have permission to occupy the building.

The occupation started with around 50 students who claim to be associated with Cambridge Defend Education (CDE), and have been occupying the building since Tuesday morning (22/02).

In a letter to the occupants, Professor Virgo has informed them that if they don’t leave immediately the University has the right to commence legal action with no further notice that will require them to leave the premises.

Professor Virgo has also condemned the actions of these students for disrupting the education of other students and negatively impacting staff who use the building.

As well as this, the letter has told occupants not to use the lifts and ensure all fire exits and escape routes remain clear. The University has also informed them that they must give University Fire and Health and Safety officers access so they can inspect the safety of the building.

Commenting on the occupation, Professor Virgo said:

“While I recognise and support the right to peaceful protest, I condemn the actions of a small group of students who have occupied the Sidgwick Lecture Block and are selfishly disrupting the education of their peers. This is particularly unfortunate given the disruption students have faced throughout the pandemic.

I have written to the occupants informing them that we may issue legal proceedings should they remain.”

Feature Image credits: Rebekah Treganna