A sunset with a graphic saying 'Culture Trip Week 2' overlaid.

Culture Trip Week Two: Our top picks to keep the revision blues at bay

Yes, technically it might be Week Three now, but it’s Easter Term: who really knows what week we’re in any more?

It’s Week 2 (sort of) and term has well and truly begun. Following the government’s latest announcement that students can safely return to university, the prospects for Easter Term are looking a lot more promising. Whether you are heavily embroiled in exam revision or looking forward to enjoying Cambridge’s green spaces in the sun, we’ve got some cultural picks to suit all your revision, procrastination, and entertainment needs.

TV Series: Inside No. 9 (2021)

A screenshot from the BBC iPlayer webpage for Inside No. 9, depicting a man in a military uniform and theatrical mask

(Image credit: Author’s own screenshot via BBC iPlayer)

This week brought a brand new series of Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton’s brilliant anthology series, which is equal parts funny, creepy, and perplexing. The 30 minute episodes (available on BBC iPlayer) are perfect for taking short breaks, and thesps in particular will enjoy the highly metatheatrical first instalment: a kind of commedia dell’arte meets heist parody.

Book: Orlando: A Biography (1928) by Virginia Woolf

An image of the book Orlando by Virginia Woolf

(Image credit: Rachel Armitage)

This charismatic mock “biography” is one of Woolf’s best-loved novels. Written for her lover, Vita Sackville-West, it tells the tale of Orlando, an Elizabethan poet who lives through three centuries after one day waking up as a woman. Described by Sackville-West’s son as “the longest and most charming love letter in literature”, Woolf’s brilliant exploration of history, poetry, and gender is a must-read. If you ever find being in the Cambridge bubble overwhelming, I highly recommend escaping into the strange and alluring world of Orlando.

Album: My Funny Valentine: The Best of Chet Baker (2010)

A screenshot from the album My Funny Valentine on Spotify

(Image credit: Author’s own screenshot via Spotify)

This collection of smooth jazz is the perfect accompaniment to a lazy evening or a dark academia study session in your college library. You’ll fall in love with Chet Baker’s gorgeous voice and mellow trumpet-playing, which make for a relaxing soundtrack great for focusing on revision or having a chilled night with friends.

Film: The Personal History of David Copperfield (2019)

A screenshot from the movie A Personal History of David Copperfield. Two men are in a bright room which has crumpled paper all over the walls.

(Image credit: Author’s own screenshot via YouTube)

A charming take on Dickens’ classic coming-of-age novel, The Personal History of David Copperfield stars Dev Patel at the helm of a star-studded cast of beloved British actors. With beautiful costumes and fantastical sets, this delightful film is sure to put a smile on your face and serves as a wonderful ode to eccentricity and story-telling.

Theatre: 15 Heroines (2020), Jermyn Street Theatre

A screenshot from the trailer for the show, depicting a woman arising from her chair

Whilst we eagerly await the impending return of live theatre, there are some great online productions available for Cambridge students to watch for free! 15 Heroines was produced by Jermyn Street Theatre in collaboration with Digital Theatre as a blend of staged and filmed theatre back in November. This trilogy adapts Ovid’s Heroides and is comprised of 15 individual monologues which give a voice to women from classical legend and literature. You can watch them all on Digital Theatre + with your student login.

That’s everything for Week 2. I hope you all have a great week and make sure you take the opportunity to have a break. See you next time for Week 3!

Feature image credit: Rachel Armitage

How to make your own socially distanced play

Cambridge’s ADC Theatre and Corpus Playroom set to reopen on 25th May

• Culture Trip Week One: Here we go again!