Near, far, wherever you are: How to celebrate Valentine’s Day during the pandemic

We’re here to help you celebrate Valentine’s Day, so sit back and take note

Another year, another Valentine’s Day. Except this year, it’s very different – we’re spending it with COVID-19! And of course that means the celebrations on 14th February may look a little unusual this year, with some of you sadly not able to spend time with your loved one this time round. So, no matter whether you’re taken, having a Galentine’s Day, or celebrating your college marriage, and no matter whether you’re with your other half or apart, we’ve gathered together the best ways to celebrate this years lockdown Valentine’s.

1. Spoil your significant other!

So, for those who are lucky enough to be with their other half on Valentine’s Day, why not make each other something like a jar full of ideas for activities to do while you spend lockdown together? That way, you can look forward to the prospect of an adventure walk, visiting somewhere new, or perhaps even treating yourself to a post-COVID holiday abroad.

Alternatively, if you’re currently unable to be with your significant other, why not send them something sweet? If they are in college, send them a bouquet of flowers or a box of chocolates to their pidge – what a surprise that would be. I won’t lie, my college husband really outdid himself last year with chocolate (lots of it) and a sentimental card. I’m still fantasising over that delicious box of Malteser truffles… yum!

These are a pretty bunch (Photo credit: Author’s own)

2. Have a plan!

Planning to do something sweet for Valentine’s Day is definitely key for enjoying your time together. It doesn’t have to be too high-maintenance and also, let’s not forget that any kinds of weekend breaks are now off limits with COVID. So, if you and your significant other are physically together this year, I suggest a relaxing walk for a change of scenery – what could be more beautiful than a nice picnic in the park, enjoying the fresh air and the wonders that nature has to offer for some cute pics together for the gram?

Once again, for those sadly apart this year, you can still enjoy a walk in the park together (yes you heard me). There are virtual walking trails available online to experience, and even better, you won’t be going local. Visit the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt to get lost in another paradise, beginning with the Mortuary Temple of Khafre, passing by the pyramids of Khafre, Khufu, and Menkaure, and finishing at the iconic sphinx. Or we can stick to the theme of love and delve into the Tunnel of Love in Ukraine, a three hour long virtual walking extravaganza.

3. Make a playlist!

There is a Valentine’s Day playlist on Spotify called “Valentine’s Day Love” so you can queue all those romantic songs. It features some of the girl classics by the Queen herself Beyoncé with Halo to help you appreciate your loved one as “they’re everything you need and more.” Or perhaps you’d like to spice things up a bit with Ellie Goulding’s Love Me Like You Do in ’50 Shades of Grey’ so, “what are you waiting for?” Maybe though, you might want to give your significant other a clue as to what film you might be watching together with Shallow by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in ‘A Star is Born’ – this movie never fails to make me cry.

The best thing about a playlist suggestion is that you don’t have to be next to each other to listen to it – make them one with their favourite music and send it to them or tell them to listen to a song you know will remind them of you.

So many to choose from (Photo credit: Author’s screenshot own via Spotify)

4. Get cooking!

Cooking up the perfect meal on Valentine’s Day is nothing short of stressful; we want to make sure everything is perfect but also efficient. But the bigger question is: What qualifies as a romantic meal? Traditional fish and chips? A hot curry from the curry house? What fits the occasion?

Well, first of all, of course it’s the thought that counts! Whether you want to both agree on ordering from Deliveroo to make life just that little bit easier, or you want to get your hands dirty in the kitchen, it’s still guaranteed to be a good night. Personally, I’m thinking of cooking up some spaghetti bolognese, because why not stray from the basics? So, my advice is just make sure both parties agree on what they want and either order it or get into the Masterchef mode in the kitchen – either way the reward is a scrumptious meal for two!

For those doing long-distance this term, why not cook together via Zoom? Simply pick a meal that you would have intended to make together and get started. Or, even better, one person can instruct the other on how to make their favourite meal and vice-versa – that way you both end up with the other’s meal, and it feels as if they’ve cooked it for you.

Photo credit: Author’s own

5. Have lovey-dovey movie night

Yes, the cinemas are closed and a new movie has not been released in ages, but don’t fret, classic romance movies on Netflix never fail to cheer us up. Personally, one of my favourites is ‘About Time’ a romantic movie with a touch of humour and a sprinkle of fantasy. It is the PERFECT Valentine’s film!

Now for the classics – perhaps a watch of ‘Pride and Prejudice’? Full of love, rivalry, heated anger and reconciliation, this movie is a clear representation of the ups and downs we all experience in relationships, and a great romantic watch for Valentine’s Day.

Fear not, those who are away from each other, you can still get into cuddle and popcorn movie night mode with Netflix Watch Party. I’d recommend that you watch ‘The Notebook’, because what better way to get inspiration of getting through a long-distance relationship than watching other people do it in a movie.

Ah the joys of Pride and Prejudice (Photo credit: Author’s screenshot via Youtube)

6. Crack open a bottle of something special!

Need I say more about this one? It’s a must have for the end of every brilliant night. You’ve been pampered with gifts, plans, music, food and a movie, and a bit of wine is a great way to end the night. Crack open a bottle with your loved one and celebrate your relationship, because let’s face it, COVID hasn’t been easy on any of us, especially those in relationships, and you’ve done great to get this far!

Zoom call your partner if you’re not able to be with them and have a nice chat about all the things you’re looking forward to doing with them when you next see each other – you could even plan to have a cheeky Valentine’s Day 2.0 with them soon. For now, just enjoy a drink while you virtually see them and look forward to the good times to come.

Have a beautiful Valentine’s Day, whether you’re with your significant other or not – cook some good food, listen to some good music and have a celebratory drink. Enjoy, lovebirds.

• I sat through Stephen Toope’s one hour panopto lecture: Here’s my review

• Trinity College cut bursaries for low-income students not returning to Cambridge by 50 per cent 

• Culture Trip: Everything you need to feel the love in Week Four