Image may contain: Weapon, Weaponry, Bomb, Dynamite, Text

Review: Dr Whom

Fez? Check. Space rhinos? Check. Wonderfully wholesome Domme/sub relationship? Check.

Welcome to the wibbly-wobbly weird world of ‘Doctor Whom’, brilliantly co-authored by Jake Rose and Jasper Cresdee-Hyde. Neither are new to the Cambridge Theatre circuit: despite debuting in 'CamDram' this year , the two have 18 shows between them. Their experience shows. The script is stylish, fast paced, and genuinely funny. Did I follow the plot? Not even slightly. Did that matter? Not in the slightest. The show is at times so meta that I wouldn’t be surprised if it was written to be intentionally bewildering to comment on their source material. (Don’t be mad, Russell T. — I still love you.)

Image may contain: Floor, Flooring, Indoors, Room, Living Room, Wood, Pants, Couch, Furniture, Clothing, Footwear, Apparel, Shoe, Person, Sitting, Human

Photo: Jake Rose

‘Doctor Whom’ is effectively a spoof episode of Doctor Who, complete with nostalgic sound effects and low-budget high-impact props (well done, Em Jones!). Early on in the show, something is set off which causes the memory loss and transformation of all the characters. Suddenly, the classically dull companion Stacey is leather-clad, and has formed a Domme/sub relationship with the Doctor’s arch nemesis, the ‘Mister’ (played by Matt Davies). The Doctor is left alone with robot therapist Jeff, and has to retrieve the ‘end device’. I think. Like I said, I’m not entirely sure. But that really didn’t matter. Add in some meta-jokes, alien beings, and a lot of world-hopping, and you have the show.

The cast is stellar, and I honestly couldn’t choose a favourite. Nathan Galpin gives an assured performance as the Doctor. Charismatic and just enough of an ‘arsehole’ (I’m allowed to say that, it’s a quote from the show) to remind me of my ex, in any other show he would have been a standout. However, his companions – Iona Rogan as Stacey and Mary Osborne as Jeff – deserve equal praise.

Image may contain: Flooring, Night Life, Leisure Activities, Lighting, Light, Flare, Person, Human

Photo: Jake Rose

Stacey appears first as the typical heroine we’ve grown to expect from Doctor Who. A bit dull, mostly there to facilitate the brilliant Doctor and his plans. Rogan embodied this well, and her well-timed and witty repartee saved the role from being totally colourless. However, after a quick universe/costume/character transformation, Stacey (and Rogan) are given the chance to really shine.

I was a bit surprised by the choice to portray a Domme/sub relationship. It’s difficult territory and could have easily devolved into painfully cringey unfunny jokes about bitchy domineering women and their emasculated partners. But the relationship between Stacey and the Mister was nothing like that. Cresdee-Hyde and Rose have somehow managed to create a reciprocal, lovingly kinky, and unexpectedly wholesome relationship. Think Bake-Off and bondage. It was especially refreshing to see this form of masculine sexual identity onstage. Rogan and Davies (as the Mister) had fabulous chemistry. I savoured the serious and touching moments between them as a revitalising variation on the silliness.

Image may contain: Pants, Footwear, Shoe, Floor, Flooring, Wood, Couch, Furniture, Apparel, Clothing, Sitting, Human, Person

Photo: Jake Rose

Osborne’s Jeff is something to behold. Keeping up a robotic voice and movements is difficult for five minutes, let alone a whole show. However, Osborne is consistent in her characterisation and consistently hilarious. Her Jeff is self-aware, intelligent, and more than capable of putting the Doctor in his place. If ‘Doctor Whom’ had been written by Russell T. Davies, I’ve no doubt Jeff would have a spin off show and a line of merch. And I’d be the first to buy all of it.

It’s a shame – but no surprise – that ‘Doctor Whom’ is sold out. But beg, borrow, or use your sonic screwdriver to wrangle a ticket to this whimsical take on the classic series. You won’t be sorry.

Cover: Beatrix Swanson

5/5